Grammar (2) Syllabus – Spring 2019
|Course Code & No.:
|Credit Hours: 3 hrs||Course Instructor:
Dr. Assma Althowaini & Sara Aldawood
2nd, Spring 2019
|Main Course Goals: The course aims at increasing the students’ knowledge of the target language and its structures. This grammar course focuses on the use of English grammar structures and provides instruction in more advanced grammatical rules such as passives, various clause types, conjunctions, connectives and conditionals.|
|Course Texts: Grammar 2|
Midterm 1: 25pts Quiz: 10pts
Midterm 2: 25pts Final exam: 40pts
Absence Warning: 25% & above Banning from final exam: 25% & above
(1) Since language accuracy is core to translation and interpreting, expect strict, detailed grading of all language errors, in all courses.
(2) Right after being absent from an exam, a valid verifiable excuse must be presented to the exam committee for approval. Location: G/16
(3) No points will be awarded for (a) cheating in any exam and/or (b) plagiarism: using other people’s work without proper citation.
For further info on KSU’s plagiarism policies and detection tools, check this link: http://35302.wikispaces.com/file/view/plagiarism+handbook+2011.pdf
(4) A more severe penalty will be implemented upon repeated cheating and/or plagiarism.
(5) Abayas must be removed during class and exams; phones must be switched off and only used for emergencies.
(6) A Psychological Counseling Center is available to students on campus, if needed.
|Tentative Weekly Schedule|
|30/4/1440||Course introduction/Syllabus overview|
|7/5/1440||Chapter 11: The Passive|
|14/5/1440||Chapter 11: The Passive & Chapter 12: Noun Clauses|
|21/5/1440||Chapter 12: Noun Clauses|
|28/5/1440||Chapter 13: Adjective Clauses|
|5/6/1440||Chapter 13: Adjective Clauses|
|12/6/1440||Chapter 16: Coordinating Conjunctions
1st Mid-term Exam (Chapters: 11, 12, and 13)
(Monday, Feb 18 @ 12)
|19/6/1440||Chapter 17: Chapter 17: Adverb Clauses|
|26/6/1440||Chapter 17: Adverb Clauses & Chapter 18: Reduction of Adverb Clauses|
|3/7/1440||Chapter 18: Reduction of Adverb Clauses
Quiz (Chapters 16 & 17)
(Monday, Mar 11 @ 12)
|10/7/1440||Chapter 19: Connectives that Express Cause and Effect, Contrast and Condition|
|17/7/1440||Chapter 19: Connectives that Express Cause and Effect, Contrast and Condition
2nd Mid-term Exam (Chapter 17, 18, and 19)
(Monday, Mar 25 @ 12)
|24/7/1440||Chapter 20: Conditional Sentences and Wishes|
|2/8/1440||Chapter 20: Conditional Sentences and Wishes|
|Final Exams: Sun., Apr. 14 – Thu., May. 2|