- Jordan: Jordan University as a TA (1988-1990) and Yarmouk University as an assistant professor (1997-2000)
- Italy: University of Genova as a TA (1991-1994).
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=bD2GeskAAAAJ&hl=en
- Nationality: Italian
- Marital Status: Married (3 children)
Education 11/1994: Universita’ degli Studi Di Genova, Genova-Italy
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) - Environmental and Engineering Geophysics
1/1990: University of Jordan - Amman, Jordan
Master of Science (M.Sc.) - Applied Geophysics
1/1987: University of Yarmouk - Irbid, Jordan
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) - Earth and Environmental Sciences
Work Experience 2012 – present: King Saud University- Riyadh/ KSA
Assistant Professor in Environmental & Engineering Geophysics
- Teaching courses in the fields of applied geophysics and environmental & engineering Geophysics.
- Supervising Master Students
- Conducting research
- Member of several academic and administrative committees
2000 – 2011: The Hashemite University- Zarqa
- A project funded by the Jordanian Higher Council for Science and Technology, and conducted with the cooperation of the Land and Water Institute in the Hashemiyya University. Topic: Geochemical and Geophysical study of the Ruseifa Landfill for groundwater quality evaluation.
- A project was conducted for the purposes of studying lava tubes in the eastern part of Jordan.
- Several other exploration projects for engineering, environmental and archaeological purposes.
Academic coordinator: Italian Embassy- Amman
- coordinate academic affairs
- follow up students affairs
- Translation: working languages include Arabic, English, and Italian.
1997 – 2000: Yarmouk University - Irbid
Assistant professor in Applied Geophysics
- Teaching B.Sc. and M.Sc. courses in the fields of geology, environmental geology, applied geophysics, and environmental & engineering Geophysics.
- Co Supervising Master Students
- Member of several M.Sc. discussion committees
- Conducting research
1996 – 1997: Geophysical Services Centre - Amman
- Conducting training courses in the fields of Environment and applied geophysics for employees of the Jordanian Natural Resources Authority (N.R.A.)
- Conducting training courses in the fields of Environment and applied geology for employees of the Jordanian Ministry of Water.
- Supervising several exploration projects; including Artificial Water Recharge; funded by the U.S. AIDS for the account the Jordanian Ministry of water.
- Research and specialized software development.
- Processing and Interpretation of geophysical data for the purposes of oil explorations in Jordan.
- Saleh S. AL ARNI, Mahmoud M. ELWAHEIDI, 2020. Concise Handbook of Waste treatment Technologies. Taylor & Francis
- Mahmoud M. ELWAHEIDI, 2014 (Translation). EARTH: An Introduction to Physical Geology. Tenth edition, by: J. Tarbuck, F. K. Lutgens. Published by Pearson Publishers
Habes Ghrefat, Haider Zaman, Awni Batayneh, Mahmoud M El Waheidi, Saleh Qaysi, Ahmed Al-Taani, Chokri Jallouli, Omar Badhris. Assessment of Heavy Metal Contamination in the Soils of the Gulf of Aqaba (Northwestern Saudi Arabia): Integration of Geochemical, Remote Sensing, GIS, and Statistical Data. Journal of Coastal Research, 37 (4), pp 864-872.
- Mahmoud M. ELWAHEIDI et al., 2020. Hydrogeophysical Characterization of the Coastal Aquifer System in the Northeast Gulf of Aqaba (Saudi Arabia): An Investigation in the Context of Groundwater Resources Management. Journal of Coastal Research. DOI: 10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-20-00055.1.
- Mahmoud M. ELWAHEIDI, 2020. Geophysical Imaging of a Buried Tertiary Valley Aquifer in an Arid Region Using Time Domain Electromagnetic Method. Journal of Geoscience and Environment Protection. DOI: 10.4236/gep.2020.87011.
- Mahmoud M. ELWAHEIDI, 2020. Scientific Challenges for a Rigorous Interpretation of the Phenomenon of Global Warming: Review article. Journal of Geology and Geoscience.
- MAHMOUD ELWAHEIDI, H. GHREFAT, Y. NAZZAL, A. BATAYNEH, T. ZUMLOT, 2016, Integrated application of geoelectrical techniques for structural investigations: a case study of Wadi Marsad Graben, Jordan. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 9(6):1-17· DOI: 10.1007/s12517-016-2466-y
- T. ZUMLOT , A. BATAYNEH , H. ZAMAN , H. GHREFAT , S. MOGREN , Y. NAZZAL , E. ELAWADI, and Mahmoud ELWAHEIDI, 2016. Statistical Analysis of Different Chemical Elements in Groundwater of Northwestern Saudi Arabia. Journal Geological Society of India, Vol.87, April 2016.
- Habes Ghrefat, Mahmoud El Waheidi, Awni Batayneh, Yousef Nazzal, Taisser Zumlot, Saad Mogren, 2016. Pollution assessment of arsenic and other selected elements in the groundwater and soil of the Gulf of Aqaba, Saudi Arabia. Environ Earth Sci (2016) 75:229 DOI 10.1007/s12665-015-5020-4
- Ibrahim M. Bahkaly, ELWAHEIDI M. Mahmoud, Chokri Jallouli, Awni Batayneh, 2015. Assessment of Shallow Aquifer Salinity in the Aqaba Coastal Plain Using ERT Method: A case study of Maqna Region, Northwestern Saudi Arabia. Environ Earth Sci (2015) 74:2105–2114. DOI: 10.1007/s12665-015-4195-z.
- Yousef Habous Nazzal, Nassir SN Al-Arifi, Muhammad Kamran Jafri, Hossam Kishawy, Habes A Ghrefat, Mahmoud M El-Waheidi, Awni T Batayneh, Taisser A Zumlot, 2015. Study the urban soils contamination by heavy metals for selected industrial locations in the Greater Toronto area, Canada, using multivariate statistical analysis. Geologia Croatica, 68, 2, 147-159.
- Awni T. Batayneh, Taisser Zumlot, Habes Ghrefat, Mahmud M. El-Waheidi, Yousef Nazzal, 2014. The use of ground penetrating radar for mapping rock stratigraphy and tectonics: Implications for geotechnical engineering. Journal of Earth Science, 25, 5, 895-900
- Yousef Nazzal, Izrar Ahmed, Nassir S. N. Al-Arifi, Mahmud M. El-Waheidi, 2014. A pragmatic approach to study the groundwater quality suitability for domestic and agricultural usage, Saq aquifer, northwest of Saudi Arabia. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, DOI: 10.1007/s10661-014-3728-3.
- Awni T. Batayneh, Habes Ghrefat Taisir Zumlot Eslam Elawadi Saad Mogren Haider Zaman Ahmed A. Al-Taani Yousef Nazzal and Mahmoud Elwahaidi, 2014. Assessing of Metals and Metalloids in Surface Sediments along the Gulf of Aqaba Coast, Northwestern Saudi Arabia. Journal of Coastal Researc h. DOI: 10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-13-00143.1.
- Al-Tarazi, E, Rajab JA, Al-Naqa A, El-Waheidi M. Detecting leachate plumes and groundwater pollution at Ruseifa municipal landfill utilizing VLF-EM method, 2008. Journal of Applied Geophysics, 65 (3), 121 – 131.
- Al-Tarazi E, El-Naqa A, El-Waheidi M, Abu Rajab J, 2006. Electrical geophysical and hydrogeological investigations of groundwater aquifers in Ruseifa municipal landfill, Jordan. Journal of Environmental geology, 50 (7), 1095 – 1103.
- El-Waheidi MM, Merlanti F, Pavan M, 1992. Geoelectrical resistivity survey of the central part of Azraq basin (Jordan) for identifying saltwater/freshwater interface. Journal of Applied geophysics, 29 (2), 125 – 133.
- Studying the rifting history of the Red Sea at the Arabian Shield margin using geophysical data (NSTIP funded project), 2014. Just approved.
- Groundwater vulnerability in Saq aqufer, KSA (NSTIP funded project), 2013. Ongoing.
- Distribution of water recharge areas and deterioration of groundwater resources in the Midyan basin, NW KSA (NSTIP funded project), 2012. Almost completed (March, 2014).
- Evaluation of the Ruseifa Municipal Landfill Effects on Groundwater Aquifer using Geochemical and Geophysical Methods (Funded by Jordanian Higher Council for Science and Technology), 2006. Completed.
- Groundwater Artificial Recharge project (Funded by the U.S. AIDS), 1996. Completed.
- Committee member Master thesis: Seismic refraction and geoelectrical survey for geological and engineering explorations – Al Naima Area/Jordan, 1998
- Committee member Master Thesis: Integrated geoelectrical methods to study the environmental impact of the closed part of Ruseifa landfill, 1999.
- Committee member Master Thesis: Application of geophysical studies for engineering purposes: dam site investigation in Sailoukah area/Sudan, 2000.
- Committee member Master Thesis: Application of geophysical Electromagnetic and Geoelectrical methods for determining lava tubes characteristics /North East Jordan, 2006:http://repository.yu.edu.jo/bitstream/handle/123456789/561069/430693.pd…;
- Translation of the book: “EARTH: An Introduction to Physical Geology”. Tenth edition, by: J. Tarbuck, F. K. Lutgens. Published by Pearson Publishers, 2011.
- Member of the Saudi Society for Geosciences
- Member of the European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers
- Member of Society of Exploration Geophysicists (USA)
- Member of the Jordanian Geologists Association
- Reviewer for the following international journals:
- Journal of Asian Earth Sciences
- Journal of Water Resource and Protection
- British Journal of Applied Science & Technology
Conferences and Specialized Courses
- 2nd Saudi International Water Technology Conference 2014, 23rd - 25th February, 2014 – Riyadh, KSA.
- 5TH International Conference on Water Resources and Arid Environment (ICWRAE), 7-9 January, 2013 – Riyadh, KSA.
- The International Conference on Environmental Performance of Tourist Accommodation Sector in Euro-Med Countries (CEPTA), Petra, Jordan. July 2nd - 4th, 2008.
- Italian Geological Conference: several editions.
- Jordanian Geological Conference: several editions.
- Specialized course on Geological Applications of Statistical methods organized by the Italian National Institute for Scientific Research, 1994.
- I.C.D.L. UNESCO certificate.
- Excellent translation capabilities: Certified translator –English/Italian/Arabic- by Arab Professional Translators Association (APTA) and Jordanian Department of Press and Publications
- Excellent computer and Internet skills, including: MS Office Package for both PC and Macintosh; Desktop publishing and graphic manipulation packages; AutoCad, geological software packages; internet search, FTP, live conferencing etc.
- Languages: Arabic (Native), English and Italian (both fluent)
References Available at the end of this file.
Based on my own academic background, I can teach the following courses:
- Principles of Applied Geophysics
- Environmental and Engineering Geophysics
- Seismic Exploration Methods
- Electrical and Electromagnetic Methods
- Radiometric & Geothermal methods
- Geophysics Research Project
- Environmental Geology
- Introduction to Earth Sciences
- General Geology
My teaching strategy is based on facilitating the perception of knowledge by encouraging students to ask questions and seek answers. I do my best to encourage thinking in rational ways. I particularly emphasize learning by thinking about directions and trends rather than memorization. When discussing questions, mistakes are treated as opportunities to find out misconceptions, not as a reflection of a student's abilities.
I also consider the feedback from students as a vital issue in the whole process of teaching; it highly contributes in finding the most effective ways to help students and overcoming problems.
Furthermore, personal contact with students is essential to my approach. I emphasize my availability for informal discussion and my willingness to help them overcome problems.
|My C.V. updated Aug. 2021||0 bytes|