- Introduction to nutrition, gene structure, function regulation, epigenetics, genetic variations, -omics, nutrigenetics vs nutrigenomics.
- Effect of carbohydrate on gene interaction
- Effect of dietary fat on gene interaction
- Effect of protein on gene interaction
- Effect of minerals on gene interaction
- Effect of vitamins on gene interaction
- Effect of phytonutrients and gene interaction
- Nutrient-gene interactions in health and disease
- Nutritional systems biology and network analysis
Food groups and their nutrients contents.
The effect of environment and agricultural practices on food composition.
Effect of handling and storage on nutritional value of fresh food.
The effect of processing and preservation methods (heat treatments, freezing, drying, irradiation ... etc), packaging and storage, cooking and preparation of food on its nutritional value.
- Fermentation biochemistry
- Technology of enhancing growth of microorganisms
- Biological reactors
- Kinetics of biotechnology
- Enzymes and immobilized microbial cells
- Use of biotechnology in the production of biomasses and biological materials
- Use of biotechnology in waste treatment and disposal
- Advances in biotechnology.
Experiment 1 : Food biotechnology techniques (Basic lab procedures, equipment’s, safety and food sampling and storage)
Experiment 2 : Bioinformatics (Food pathogens related -genes, marker and single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) analysis using online tools )
Experiment 3 : Genomic DNA isolation and purification from food samples
Experiment 4 : Spectrophotometric Determination (DNA quantification and purity)
Experiment 5 : Primer designing & Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
Experiment 6 : Agarose gel electrophoresis of DNA
Experiment 7 : RFLP & DNA Molecular Size Determination
Experiment 8 : Quantitative determination of Total proteins by Bradford method
Experiment 9 : SDS- Polyacrylamide slab gel electrophoresis
Experiment 10 : Protein Molecular weight Determination
Experiment 11 : Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)
Experiment 12 : Food Isoenzymes detection and analysis by Native PAGE