The course introduces civil engineering students to transportation systems and modes, vehicle operations, human factors involved in roadway design, traffic flow models, capacity analysis, level of services analysis, and transportation planning process.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Understanding basic transportation systems components and concepts.
- Understanding how vehicle and driver characteristics influence the design of various transportation systems.
- Understanding of traffic flow characteristics and interrelations, including capacity, speed and safety considerations, and relate it to the design of transportation links and nodes.
- Learning basic procedures for highway capacity and level of service analysis.
- Basic understanding of travel demand and traffic forecasting.