BCH 485 Principle & skills of scientific research
- Days: Thursday
- Building: 5
- Time: 1.00 - 3.00 pm
- Course Symbol: BCH 485
- Course title: Principle & skills of scientific research
- Credit hours: (0+2)
- Prerequisite: BCH 361 BCH 340
- This course trains students with concepts and mechanisms of scientific research including the various stages of preparation, implementation and observing the ethics of scientific research. The course also trains students with important techniques in Biochemistry.
- Objectives: This course is designed to guide the student to become independent researchers/scientists and to fulfill the following objectives:
- Gain knowledge of selected advanced topics with particular emphasis on the latest developments in the field of biochemistry.
- Teach students the importance of time and how to efficiently use their time;
- Teach how to conduct literature search; how to store references; how to write a report; how to prepare a poster and a presentation and how to deliver a lecture; how to read of a scientific paper and how to prepare a proposal on a topic given to them at the beginning of the course.
- Teach how to collect and analyze data using statistical packages.
- Learning Outcome:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will gain an up-to-date knowledge about the important progress made in various topics of biochemistry and will be able to develop important skills related to research the literature, analyze relevant information and gain experience in written and oral communications according to the guidelines usually used for scientific paper presentation. This course will also motivate students to become independent in reading research papers and reviews. In addition, the students will gain experience in conducting analysis of data using statistical programs. Furthermore, this course will also nurture a spirit of enquiry and enthusiasm to continue self learning beyond the university.
- Topic: Course Detail
Topic: Course Detail
|How to write your first CV
|How to choose a topic for research
|Statistical analysis using SPSS: Introduction to SPSS. Window based statistical program.
|How to write a lab report and discuss your data
|How to write references: Use endnote for citing references: The topic will cover using the traditional methods of citing reference and the advantages of using endnote program.
|Ethics of scientific research
|How to design and present a poster
|How to make a slide presentation
| How to Read Papers Fast. A recent scientific paper on a biochemical research will be given to the students.
|Conducting literature search and use of the internet
- Assessment Scheme:
- Attendance /10
- Homework /90
- How to write your first CV /10
- How to choose a topic for research /10
- Statistical analysis using SPSS: Introduction to SPSS. Window based statistical program /10
- How to write a lab report and discuss your data /30
- Ethics of scientific research QUIZ /10
- How to design and present a poster /10
- How to make a slide presentation /10