This course covers fundamental aspects of molecular biology with emphasis on providing students with basic theoretical and practical skills in DNA structure and the different biochemical mechanisms the control the replication, maintenance, and expression of the genetic material.
Course Main Objective
- Introduce students to classic experiments that led to the discovery of the chemical nature of the genetic material.
- Provide an overview on the chemical and physical characteristics of DNA and RNA
- Provide an overview on the structure of the human genome and its packing
- Provide an overview on the biochemical processes responsible for the duplication and maintenance of DNA
- Provide an overview on how the flow of information from DNA to protein is accomplished and regulated