Dr. Waleed Mohammad K. Zahid
Present Employment: Chairman of the Civil Engineering Department - College of Engineering - King Saud University, Associate Professor of Environmental Engineering.
Address: Civil Engineering Department, College of Engineering, King Saud University, P.O. Box 800, Riyadh 11421, Tel: +966-1-4676997 or 4676918, Fax: +966-1-4677008
o Teaching Assistant: 5/3/1983 – 8/2/1993
o Assistant Professor: 9/2/1993- 3/5/2003
o Associate Professor: since 3/5/2003
o Chairman of Civil Engineering department: since 12/2008
o Director of "Prince Khalid Bin Sultan Chair for Water Research": since 22/4/2008
(1) Part-time consultant for the Arriyadh Development Authority (ADA) since 1996:
o The Metropolitan Development Strategy For Arriyadh (MEDSTAR): ADA Environmental and Infrastructure Specialist (Sine June 1996)
o The Strategic Plan for ArRiyadh Region(SPAR): Member of the technical committee (sine 2005).
o The Structural Plans for the Northern and Eastern Suburbs in Riyadh: Member of the technical committee (sine 2005).
o The Higher Committee for Environment Protection: Member of the technical committee (sine 2006).
(2) Part-time consultant for the Ministry of Transportation (1999-2000)
o The team leader of the project “The transport and the environment”.
o Organizing with the Presidency of Meteorology and Environment the environmental issues concerning the ministry.
(3) Member of the Experts committee for Evaluating Works Submitted for Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water (2nd Award 2004-2006G).
(4) A representative for the Ministry of Higher Education in the Technical Committee for Studying the Reuse of Greywater for Toilet Flushing In Hospital and Health-Care Centers (2006G /1427H).
(5) Reviewing and Inspecting designs and drawings of water supply, sewage and fire fighting systems for colleges buildings in new Saudi Universities – Ministry of Higher Education - A project via King Abdullaha Center for Research and Consulting Studies, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, since 1427H /2006G.
Water supply and Drainage Systems, The Industry and The Environment, Environmental Engineering, Water and Wastewater Treatment, Biological Treatment Processes, Wastewater Reclamation and Reuse, Solid Waste Management, Hazardous Waste Management, Advanced Topics in Environmental Engineering, Selected Topics in Environmental Engineering, and Computer Applications in Engineering.
Scholarship & Awards
o “Municipal Solid wastes Management” held in Jeddah,28-30 Nov. 1994.
o “Wastewater Treatment Techniques” held in Jeddah,19-22 Nov. 1995.
o Cleansing Work for Municipal Solid Waste,4-5/6/1420H
o Disposal of Municipal Solid Waste: Landfilling and Others, 25-26/6/1420H
Funded Research Projects
Training Courses and Workshops
1. Zahid, W. M., and Ganczarczyk, J. J. (1990) "Suspended Solids in Biological Filter Effluents", Water Research, 24, 2, 215-220.
2. Ganczarczyk, J. J., and Zahid, W. M., and Li, D. H. (1992) "Physical Stabilization and Embedding of Microbial Aggregates For Light Microscopy Studies", Water Research, 26, 12, 1695-1699.
3. Zahid, W. M., and Ganczarczyk, J. J. (1994) "Fractal Properties of the RBC Biofilm Structure", Wat. Sci. Technol., 29(10-11), 271-279.
4. Zahid, W. M., and Ganczarczyk, J. J. (1993) "Structure of RBC Biofilms", Water Environment Research, 66, 100-106.
5. Zahid, W. M., and Ganczarczyk, J. J. (1994) "A Technique for Characterization of RBC Biofilm Surface", Water Research, 28,2229-2231.
6. Zahid, W. M., and Ganczarczyk, J. J. (1995) "Effects of Organic Suspended Solids on Biofilm Performance" Presented at the Thirtieth Central Canadian Symposium on Water Pollution Research, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, February 6-7.
7. Zahid, W. M., Misbahudin, M., and Al-lahem, S. “Effect of Physical Flocculation on the Settleability of Biological-Filter Effluent Solids” Proceedings of the Symposium on Wastewater Treatment Technology and Reuse, Arriyadh, Saudi Arabia, Nov. 18-20, 1996, pp 310-327.
8. Zahid, W. M., Al-Shaye, I. A., and Al-Zukair, A. S. “Status of Water Resources in Arriyadh city” Presented at the Conference of Development and Environmental Impact, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 21-23/9/1997. (In Arabic)
9. Zahid, W. M., and Al-Shaye, I. A., “Drinking Water Resources In Riyadh, the Present and Future” the Journal of King Saud University (Engineering Sciences), Vol. 11, No. 2, 1419H. (In Arabic)
10. Zahid, W. M. “Development of Municipal Solid Wastes Disposal” Proceedings of the Symposium on Integrated Solid Waste Management, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, June 14-16, 1999, pp 53-70 (In Arabic).
11. Sheik, B., Al-Zukair, A. S., Walker, C., and Zahid W. M., “Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - A Vision of 2021: Introducing Water Reuse to A World Capital” Presented at the Water Reuse 2000 Conference, San Antonio, Texas, USA, Jan 30-Feb 2, 2000 (In Arabic).
12. Zahid W. M, and Al-Rehaili A. M., “Reuse of Reclaimed Municipal Wastewater: Evaluation of Local Criteria and Practices in View of International Trends”, Proceedings of the Symposium on Water Conservation and Protection of the Environment, Madina, Suadi Arabia, Aug. 1-2, 2000 (In Arabic).
13. Zahid W. M, and Al-Rehaili A. M. (2000) “Reuse of Municipal Wastewater in Saudi Arabia: Treatment Systems, Reuse Activities and Criteria”, Arab Gulf Journal of Science Research, Vol. 18, 2, 134-142. (In Arabic)
14. Zahid W. M. (2001) “Enhancing the Settleability of Trickling-Filter Effluent Solids by Flocculation” The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 2C, 25-35.
15. Zahid W. M. (2003) “Tertiary Filtration of Wastewater Using Local Sand”, Journal of King Saud University, Vol. 16, Engineering Sciences (1), pp. 23-36.
16. Al-Shaye, I. A., and Zahid W. M. (2003) “Environmental Management In Metropolitan Strategy for Arriyadh”, Proceedings of the Second Arabian Conference on Environmental Management in Local Administration Systems in the Arab World, Sharajh, United Arab Emarates, Jan. 21-23, 2003, pp. 272-288 (In Arabic.
17. Zahid W. M. (2003) “Quality of Local and Imported Bottled Water in Saudi Arabia” Accepted for publication in the Journal of King Abdulaziz University-Engineering Sciences (in Arabic).
18. Zahid W. M. (2003) “Use of Bottled water at Home and Work In Riyadh City” Proceedings of WSTA Sixth Gulf Water Conference in concurrence with the Second Symposium on Water Use Conservation in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 8-12 March 2003, pp 235-246 (in Arabic).
19. Zahid W. M. (2003) “Investigating the Use of Local Sand for Tertiary Filtration of Wastewater” Proceeding of the 2nd International Water Conference in the Arab Countries, Beirut, Lebanon, 7-10 July 2003, pp. 149-162.
20. Al-Shaye, I. A., and Zahid W. M. (2003) “Towards Integrated Solid and Hazardous Wastes In Arriyadh City”, The Third Periodical Meeting To Develop Performance of Municipal Departments, Municipality of Riyadh, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Dec. 27-29, 2003 (In Arabic).
21. Zahid W. M. (2007) “Cost Analysis of Trickling-Filtration and Activated-Sludge Plants for the Treatment of Municipal Wastewater”, Proceedings of the Seventh Saudi Engineering Conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2-5 Dec., 2007, Vol. II, pp. 67-81.
22. Fakhru'l-Razi and W.M. Zahid (2009), "Recycling and Reuse of Treated Wastewater " , 2nd PKC (Prince Khalid Bin Sultan Chair for Water Research) Workshop on Water Reclamation and Reuse in the 21st - Century: Challenges and Opportunities, College of Engineering, King Saud Univ., Riyadh, 29-30 Jun 09.
23. A.R. Pendashteh , A. Fakhru’l-Razi, A. Luqman Chuah, S.S. Madaeni, Z.Z. Abidin, A.B. Dayang Radiah and W.M. Zahid (2009) "Treatment of hypersaline oilfield produced water for recycle and beneficial reuse", 5th IWA Specialized Membrane Technology Conf. for Water & Wastewater Treatment, Sept 1-3, 2009, Beijing, China.
24. Fakhru’l-Razi, Alireza Pendashteh, Luqman Chuah Abdullah, Dayang Radiah Awang Biak, Zurina Zainal Abidin, Sayed Siavash Madaeni and Waleed M. Zahid (2009) "Application of Membrane-coupled Sequencing Batch Reactor to Convert Oilfield Produced Water to Re-usable Quality". 7th IWA World Congress on Water Reclamation and Reuse, 20-25 Sept. 09, Brisbane, Brisbane, Australia
25. Fakhru’l-Razi, Pendashteh, A.R., Dayang, R. Awang Biak., Chuah, T.G.Madaeni, S. S., Zurina, Z. Abidin and Waleed M Zahid (2009) "Treatment of Hypersaline Produced Water in a Membrane Sequencing Batch Reactor", FILTECH 2009, Oct. 13–15, Wiesbaden, Germany.
26. Fakhru’l-Razi, A. Pendashteh, A. Luqman Chuah, A. Dayang Radiah, S. S. Madaeni, Z. A. Zurina and Waleed M Zahid (2009) "Oilfield Field Wastewater Treatment with Combined Biological and Membrane Method for Reuse Applications", 3rd IWA-ASPIRE Conference & Exhibition, 18-22 Oct. 09, Taipei, Taiwan.
27. Zahid W. M. (2010) "Towards Wastewater Reuse In Saudi Arabia", Scientific Forum: Contemporary Systems for Water Disposal, Saudi Association For Engineers, Jeddah, Kind AbdulAziz Univ., 28/3/2010.
28. Zahid W. M. (2010) "Reclaimed Municipal Wastewater: A Strategic Water Resource for Saudi Arabia", 1st RTV (Riyadh Technology Valley) Water Workshop: Innovative Solutions for a National Demand, King Saud University, Riyadh, 18/5/2010.
29. Zahid W. M., and Elshafai S. A. (2010), "Evaluation of Different Textile Materials for MBR treating Municipal Wastewater in KSA", Prince Khalid Bin Sultan Chair for Water Research (PKC), PKC Forum on "Water Reuse in Developing Countries", College of Engineering, King Saud University, Riyadh, 21/6/2010.
30. Mourad, S. M, Khan, MI, Zahid W. M. (2010) "Assessment and Evaluation of the Civil Engineering B.Sc. Program – King Saud University", WCCEE 2010 - 12th IACEE World Conference on Continuing Engineering Education, Singapore, 17-19 Oct, 2010.
31. Khan, M. I., Mourad, S. M. and Zahid W. M. (2010) "Development of Engineering Program for ABET Accreditation: Case Study of Civil Engineering B.Sc. Program at King Saud University", WCCEE 2010 - 12th IACEE World Conference on Continuing Engineering Education, Singapore, Oct 17-19, 2010.
32. Waleed M. Zahid and Saber A. El-Shafai (2010), "Evaluation of Different Textile Materials for Membrane Bioreactor Treating Municipal Wastewater in KSA", The first international conference on Environmental management and technologies. AlAtheen for Specialized Research and the Center for the Study of Architecture in the Arab Region, 1-3 November 2010, Amman Jordan.