King of Saudi Arabia
King Saud University
College of Science
Department Of Botany And Microbiology
Antibacterial Effect of Camels Urine on Some Pathogenic Bacteria
Aishea Mohammed Ba-hatheq
Submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirement for the Master,s degree in the Department of Botany &Microbiology at The College of Science King Saud University
Prof. Dr. Alia Abed El:Baky Shoeib
- The camel’s urine was collected from female camel Camelus dromedaries of age 5 years, at a barn in the Faculty of Nutrition and Agriculture, Production Division, King Saud University.
- Bacterial isolation and identification of the natural flora existing in the camel urine, showed the following genus: Enterococcus faecalis, Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Micrococcus sp, Gemella marbillarum.
- The antibacterial effect of the camel’s urine upon pathogenic bacteria, that have been isolated and identified at the Military Hospital in Riyadh was studied, including the following bacteria : Acinetobacter sp, Enterococcus faecalis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella sp, Escherichia coli, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Citrobacter sp, Morganella morganii, Providencia sp, Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA .
- The result of this study is: Testing the effect of the volatile material from the camel’s urine on the pathogenic bacteria growth showed negative effects upon the growth of all tested pathogenic bacteria mentioned above.
- Several attempts were repeatedly conducted to find out the best preparation of the camel’s urine with high ability of bacterial growth inhibition, starting form the unfiltered fresh urine (1X), to that filtered using Mlibore, then by fresh urine concentration filtered to (2X) times, then to (20X), finally by sterilizing the latter using the Autoclave. This study indicated clearly that the best treatment is the last one, due to its high efficiency to overcome the
bacterial cells. Such treatment is considered the first to be recorded
in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Electormicroscopic studies were conductd to disclose the effect of camel unine on the external shape of some of the pathogenic bacteria like S.aureus, MRSA, P.aeruginosa, E.coli, in comparison with antibiotic effect (CXM30ug) upon the bacterial cells attributed to S.aureus.
- The effect of one year stored and fresh camel’s urine on the bacterial plasmids was tested on a negative gram of P.aeruginosa, E.coli, and a positive gram of S.aureus MRSA. The treatment with the fresh urine led to lose of the plasmids from the bacterial cells, while the cells didn’t lose the plasmids when treated by the stored urine compared with the control treatment.
- The analysis of camel’s urine by using HITACHI MODULAR ISE 900 FROM ROCHE appeared the presence of calcium, magnesium, sodium, inorganic phosphorous, urea, uric acid and createnine. In addition using Inductively Coupled plasma Spectrometer From SHIMADZU,Ver.2(ICP) showed that there are 17 metal elements, one non metal element, as well as two semi metal or elements.