Name: Mohammad S. Makki.
Academic Position: Proffesor.
Occupation: Staff Memmber.
Place of work: Dept.of Geography,College of Arts,King Saud University,Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Qualification: M.A. & Ph.D. in Urban Geography from Durham University, U.K., in 1975 ,1979 respectively.
· Deputy chairman of the Dept.of Geography,King Saud University(11/3/1982- 3/2/1984).
· Chairman of the Dept. Of Geography,King Saud University(3/2/1984- 17/10/1986; 30/11/1989 – 15/11/1993).
· Chairman of many committees such as: Riyadh City research committee, Organizing committee of the second symposium for geographers in Saudi universities, sientific committee of the third Arab geographers symposium.
· Work in the Saudi Geographical Society since its first constituent assembly as a chairman,vice-chairman,treasurer, first secretary.
· Chairman of the Reseach Centre at the College of Arts,King Saud University.
· Chairman of co-operative Training committee in the Geography Department,King Saud University between 1998- 2004.
· Chairman of the scientific committee of the 9th Symposium of geography departments in Saudi Universities in 2006.
· Editor-in Chief of the Geography Research Bulletin, SGS, since 1989.
· Editor-in Chief of the Geography Stusies Bulletin, SGS, since 1991.
· Editor-in Chief of the Arabian Journal of GIS, SGS, since 2006.
· Member of the eitorial board of Aldarah Magazine between 1995-1999.
· Chairman of the unit of Places names,SGS,since 1999.
· Member of the National Committee for anotating Places' names, since 2007.
· Member of the Advisory board of the Journal of Medina Reaearch and Studies centre, since 2001.
· Member of the coordinating council to monitor the municipal election in 2005.
Scientific Research: Published many works in urban geography, Hajj geography, population geography,cultural geography. Example of these studiea are:
- Makki,M.S.,1979,"Mutawifs in Mecca", The Geographical Magazine,Vol, 11(6),p.439.
- Makki,M.S.,1979,"Dams Arround the Holy City of Medina and the Pressure on its Water Supply", Jour. of Arid Environment, Vol.2,pp. 363 -367.
- Makki,M.S.,1981,”Analytical sights to Hajj numirical charactaristics”,Al-Khafji,No.7,pp.2-11.
-Makki,M.S.,1982,Medina,Saudi Arabia:Ageographic Analysis of the City and Region,Avebury PublishingCo,London.
- Makki,M.S.,1402,”Urban Growth an d the Changing Structure of Medina”, The Arab Urban Development Institute.
- Clarke,John,1404,Population Geography,Dar Al-Mareekh(translated by Mohammad S.Makki).
-Makki,M.S.,1405,”Proffesional Geographer development on Saudi Arabia”,Social research and Studies,No.4, UMM Al-Qura Univ.,Makkah.
- Makki,M.S.,1982,"Quelques Aspects de la Croissance Urbaine,en Arabie Saoudite”, Anneles de Geographie
- Makki,M.S.,1407,” Size Distribution of cities in Saudi Arabia”,Libraries Affairs,King Saud University,Riyadh.
- Makki,M.S.,1407,”Architecture Traditiom in Al-Aghawat and Dharawan Quarter in Medina”, Libraries Affairs, King Saud University, Riyadh.
-Makki,M.S.,1405,”Urban Growth and external Migration and its Effects on Crime in Saudi Arabia”,Proceedings of the Symposium on the population and Social Changes in the Islamic World in the 14th century A.H.
- Makki,M.S.,1405,”Waqf Land in Medina,Al-Darah,vol10,no.2, pp.35-43.
- Makki,M.S.,1984,”Periodical Markets in Yanbu Emirate in the western of Saudi Arabia:,Dirasat:Jordan, Vol.11, No.2,pp.161-205.
- Makki,M.S.,1985,” The Spatial Pattern for Urban Centers Distribution in Saudi Arabia", J.Coll.Arts, King Saud University,Vol.12(2),pp.187-201.
- Makki, M.S., 1405, Medina Population, Dar Al-Olom,Riyadh (in Arabic).
- Makki,M.S.,1405,Medina Population Mobility,Ministry of Interior, Saudi Arabia (in Arabic).
- Makki,M.S.,1405,Medina Atlas,King Saud University.
- Makki,M.S.,1406,”The Effects of Pilgrims Nationality and sex on the Saudi Budget”,Al-Darah,Vol.12,No.1,pp.44-77(in Arabic).
- Makki,M.S., 1986,"Regional and Urban Population Size Weights in Saudi Arabia 1962-1974”, Geojournal, Vol.13 (2),pp.111-118.
- Makki,M.S.,1987,”Supermarkets in Riyadh:Geographical Study in Distribution and Behaviour”,The Kuwaiti Geographical Society,No.94, Kuwait (in Arabic).
- Makki,M.S.,1408,”Public Gardens Distribution in Medina”,Al-Darah,Vol.14,No.1,pp.192-207(in Arabic).
- Makki,M.S.,1988,”Small Cities- The Hope of Future”,The Arab Journal for Humanatis,Vol.8,No.31,pp.34-78(in Arabic).
- Makki,M.S.,1988,”An Approach for Dividing the city into Quarters: A Case Study of Medina”,Journal for Arabic Research and Studies,Cairo,Vol16,pp.137-159.
- Makki,M.S.,1409,”Pattern of Distribution of Economic Activities and Services in the Central Area of Medina”,King Saud Univ. Journ.,Vol.1,No.1,2,[[.219-251(in Arabic).
- Makki,M.S.,1413,”Population Size and Functional diversity in Saudi Arabia’s Cities”,King Saud Univ.Journ.,Vol.5,N0.1,pp.147-204(in Arabic).
-Makki,M.S.,1989.”Occupational Mobility for migrating Families Heads to Medina”,Population Bulletin,No34, ESCWA,pp. 73-107.
- Makki, M.S., 1413, Urban and Rural Distribution of Crimes:Applies Study on Saudi Arabia,Ministry of Interior, Riyadh(in Arabic)..
- Makki,M.S.,1415,”Reseach Methods in Urban Geography”,King Saud Univ. Journ.,Vol8,pp.159-188(in Arabic)..
- Makki,M.S.,1414,”Public Gardens in Medina”, Al-Aqiq, Vol.2, No.304, pp.133-140(in Arabic).
-Makki,M.S.,1415,”Geographical Distribution of Mosques in Riyadh City”,Social Science Research,No.31,Um-AlQura Univ.,Makkah (in Arabic).
-Makki,M.S.,1415,”The Relationship between Urban and Economic Growth Stages”,Um Al-Qura Univ. Journ.,Vol.8,No.10,pp.11-65(in Arabic).
-Makki,M.S.,1418,”Medina Population”,in Al-Rowithy,M.A.(ed.),Medina:Environment and Man,Medina,pp.254-286.
- Makki,M.S.,1418,”Population Growth in Saudi Arabia”, Al-Aqiq, No.17-18, pp.35-47.
- Makki,M.S.1420,Studies on Waqf,Riyadh.
Medals and Decorations:
1-Medal guests of Medina Award, 1997.
2-holds an Order of King Abdul Aziz, first class on 2000, in appreciation of the efforts made in the work of the Preparatory Committee and the Scientific Committee occasion of the celebration of the centenary of the founding of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
3 -got the shield and certificate of honor from Medina Literary Club in honor of His Royal Highness Prince Miqrin Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud in appreciation of the contribution to the cultural and geographical research, 2001.
4-got the estimate Shield of the Syrian Geographic Society on the occasion of participating in a symposium on Saudi Gazetteer and Syrian Gazetteer and strengthening the ties between Saudi Geographical Society and Syrian Geographical Society,02/08/2001.
5-got the shield and certificate of honor from Saudi Geographical Society on the occasion of the third Forum of the Geographical Arab Symposium in recognition of the scientific production, which reflects the originality of geographical thought and addition to a distinct geographical culture, 2004.
6- expert testimony in the urban geography from the Biographical Center, Cambridge, 2005.
7 -Certificate of 2005'man from the American Biographical Institute (ABA) for the efforts of the long-serving Saudi Geographic Society.
8 -Annual World Plateau Prize for Education for the effective contribution in teaching geography, 2006.
9 -gold medal and certificate of global decision made by the American Biographical Institute in recognition of the service offered to the Saudi Geographical Society for 25 years (01/19/2007).
10-Prize of the Organization of Islamic Capitals and Cities in its 7th circle in 1428 A.H./ 2007 A.M.: Second prize in the field of regional planning and urban research on: "The impact of regulations on the division of land in the urban growth Medina".