Biomedical Instrumentation course
At the end of this page there are usefull documents to Download concerning the course.
Summary : This course describe the technology of Electronic instrumentations There are several chapter in this topic including EEG EMG, Defibrilator, Peace Maker,Electro-surgery Ablation, Laser Surgery and others.
1. Program Title: Biomedical instrumentation
2. Program code and number: BMT 414
3. Faculty member responsible for the program: Dr. Ali Saad
4. Qualification required for faculty member: Ph.D. or M.Sc.
5 No. of units/Credit hours: 3 hrs.
6. level at which this course is offered: 9
7. Pre-requisites: Electronics (BMT 313)
8. Co-requisites: NA
9. General Goal of program: · Understand basics of instrumentation. · Study of medical instrumentation the design and function · Develop an ability to design and analyze medical instrument.
10. Short Description of the course: The course focus on studying several biomedical instrument including defibrillators, cardioverters, electrosurgical unit, medical Laser, Peacemakers and instrument and techniques dealing with electrophysiological signals like EEG, EMG and ENG. .
11. Topics to be Covered
-Topic No of Weeks Total hours Lecture Tutorial/ Practical Defibrillators/Cardioversion Defibrillation Strength Duration Curve External Defibrillators Capacitive Discharge Defibrillator Square Wave Defibrillators Defibrillation Electrodes Electrode Placement Electrodes used in cardiac defibrillation A cardioverter Implantable Defibrillators 2 6 4 4
-Pacemakers Short History of Pacemakers Cardiac Conduction System Atrioventricular block Normal ECG followed by an ectopic beat Modern Pacemakers asynchronous cardiac pacemaker Demand Synchronous Pacing rate-responsive pacemaker Evolution of implantable pacemaker technology Dual Chamber Pacemaker Bipolar Pacemaker Electrodes Unipolar Pacemaker Electrodes commonly applied cardiac pacemaker electrodes Pacemaker Placement 2 6 4 4
-Electrosurgery and ablation Electrosurgery works by cutting, fulguration or desiccation typical electrosurgical unit Components of a modern electrosurgical system Elastomeric silicone-coated cutting electrodes Structure of the commonly used electrodes in laparoscopy return electrode monitoring system Argon beam coagulator Examples of ablation procedures The Joule heat generated from the catheter tip A typical ablation electrode system An ablation catheter Common cardiac ablation sites FEM for Hepatic Ablation Important Parameters Affecting Lesion Dimension A simplified optical diagram of components of the laser system System for prostate cryoablation block diagram of a microwave power supply 2 6 2 4
-Medical L-A-S-E-R Laser Elements Laser Characteristics Laser Tissue Interaction Carbon Dioxide Laser ND:Yag Laser Argon and argon dye laser Diode and Holmium Laser Electroneurogram (ENG Electromyogram (EMG) EMG Affected by Disease Evoked EMG Measurements/ENG 1 3 1 2
-EEG Brain signal measurement and analysis Brain Structure Brain Function Electroencephalogram (EEG) Unipolar EEG Recording Evoked Potential Estimation Signal Power Estimates 1 3 1 2
-Catheterization & Cardiac Output Measurement of Heart Valve Surface Area Heart Sound Generation Heart Sound Measurement Measurement of Blood Flow Indicator Dilution Methods Indicator Dilution via Rapid Injection Example of Swan Ganz Catheter 2 6 2 4
-Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) How MRI Works Timeline of MR Imaging MRI whole system Magnetic and Electromagnetic Fields Shimming Coils Proton in magnetic field frequency encoding MRI image formation 2 6 2 4