Fawziah Bakr Al-Bakr
Professor of Education
College of Education
King Saud University
P.O. Box 27132
Riyadh 11417, Saudi Arabia
personal email: email@example.com
Women studies : Gender ,Education and employment
Youth and university students studies in Saudi Arabia.
Social and philosophical foundations of education
Cross-cultural issues in international education
Research methodology in education
1990 Institute of Education, University of London, London, U.K.
Ph.D. in Education
Dissertation: “Woman, Education and the Labor Market in Saudi Arabia: An Investigation of the Work Characteristics of Female Workers in Riyadh in Relation to their Education and Work Experience”
Advisor: Kevin Lillies
1983 College of Education, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
M.A. in School Administration and Supervision
Thesis: “Elementary Teachers: A Study of Some of their Problems and Their Effect on Attitudes toward the Teaching Profession”
1978 College of Education for Girls, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
B.A. in Psychology, with a minor in History
-Saudi Women and Education: A Historical Perspective (Riyadh: Al Daiera, 1985). Second revised edition (Cairo: Media Publishing Agency, 1997).( In Arabic).
- My Schools is a closed box :New trend in the sociology of Education . A book that explores the sociological aspect of the educational system in Saudi Arabia and its effect on the social and political orientation of Saudi students . Dar Alrushed .Riyadh ,Saudi Arabia .2005 .( In Arabic).
- ( in progress) : How to write a paper : A guide for beginners at the university level .2010.( In Arabic).
Academic activities in 2007 -2010:
-Media and Education : paper presented to the International conference on Media Education . Ministry of Education and the International Organization on Media Education, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia , March 4-7-2007.
- Saudi Education and its ability to face challenges of the 21st century .Paper presented to the meeting of Business Women and the present Challenges .Khadija Bent Quailed Group, Jeddah .Champers of Comber March 19-20 2007
- Attend the conference on school innovation .United Arab Emert university .Dubai .April 20-22 -2007 .
- Joint Work on a big project for the last three years with the organization : Women without Border .Grant from University of Vienna .Austria .Name : Bridging the Gab : a study of the Arab Youth : their aspiration and aspect .with Dr Edit Sheffer .
- NESA conference ,Bangkok ,October 23-28 .2007 .
-Attend the conference on Education and Globalization . Monterey, USA 22-28 January 2008
- Finish two courses on ( Teaching for Understanding ) Harvard university . School of Graduate studies of education. U.S.A . Feb-Aug 2008 .( On line) .
-Attend the opening of King Abdulla university 23/Sep/2009
-Bridging the Gap: young voices from Saudi Arabia: paper presented at the symposium of University students and the future .King Saud University .8 Dec 2009.
- Attend the53 annual conference for the International comparative society : Charleston. South Carolina .USA. March 2009.
- Attend - Women Leaders in Organizations: Challenges, Tensions and Trade-off" PSU-INSEAD Executive seminar. January 2009 .
Attend the meeting of Gulf Educational office In Bahrain .20-21-Janury 2010.
-Attend the Annual conference for the International Comparative society ( The 54the meeting ) Chicago, U.S.A. May1-5 -2010.
- invited participant of the meeting of Globalization and cultural effect in Saudi Arabia. King Abdul-Aziz Dialogue center . Riyadh. June 15-16 .2010.
- Invited speaker for the high school graduation of the American International school in Riyadh ,June 1 2010.
Attended the 54 the annual conference for the international comparative society .Chicago. March 1-5 2010 .
-Presented a paper on( What to expect after sending your paper to be published in the international Journals ) symposium arranged by Research center , Girls center at King Saud university .10 0f Dec 2010.
“Difficulties Facing Freshmen at the University Level at King Saudi University.” Derasat trbawea: Majalt gameat almalek Saud (Educational Studies: The Journal of King Saud University), forthcoming March 2002.
“Women’s Education in Saudi Arabia: How my Mother Got an Education Prior to the Institutionalization of Official Education (1910-1960).” Research Center at King Saud University, forthcoming 2002.
“Educational and Professional Development of University Female Professors at King Saudi University: Future Prospects.” Risalat Ul-khaleej Al-Arabia (Educational and Cultural Quarterly), vol. 22, no. 81 (2001): 13-52.
“A Comparative Study of Teachers’ Educational and Professional Competence
Between Private and Public Schools at the Elementary Level in Riyadh.” Derasat trbawea: Majalt gameat al malek Saud (Educational Studies: The Journal of King Saud University) vol. 10, no. 2 (1998): 215-257.
“Educational Policies and Their Effect on Women’s Educational and Professional Opportunities in Saudi Arabia.” Majalt Al Nas Al Jaded (Journal of New Writing), no. 7 (1998): 67-92.
“School Building at the Elementary Level: A Comparative Study Between Public
And Private Schools in Riyadh.” Journal of Al-Tarbia Al-Muasera (Modern Education) vol. 13, no. 44 (1996): 125-141.
“Parental Attitudes Towards Private Education, As Compared to Public Education, at the Elementary Level in Riyadh.” Risalat-ul-Khaleej Al-Arabia (Arab Bureau of Education for the Gulf States) vol. 16, no. 56 (1995): 52-81.
“A Study of the Saudi Female Educational System: Present and Future.” Journal of Al-Tarbia Al-Muasera (Modern Education) vol. 35 (1995).
“Characteristics of Saudi Women’s Education.” Journal of Al-Tariba Al-Masarea
(Modern Education) vol. 35 (1995): 139-167.
“The Effect of Cartoons on the Socialization of Saudi Children.” Paper presented at the Symposium on Arab Children and Cartoons, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, March 1998.
“A Study of the Cultural and Social Effects of Communication on Saudi children.” Paper presented at the “Al-Junadria” Festival, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, February 1996.
“Effective Teaching Methods for the Expatriate Nurse.” Paper presented at the Conference on Women’s Health Issues in Saudi Arabia: Present and Future.
King Fahad Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, April 1994.
Cultural values and working habits among university graduates. King Saud university . Riyadh .May 2008 .
Bridging the Gap : Young Voices from Saudi Arabia. .King Saud university. Riyadh .Dec 2009.
Drug prevention at schools . First meeting for the Drug prevention program. Riyadh . April 2010.
Globalization and cultural effect in Saudi Arabia. King Abdul-Aziz Dialogue center . Riyadh. June 15-16 .2010.
Undergraduate Teaching: Department of Education, College of Education, Center for Girls’ Education, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 1990-present.
Courses: Sociology of Education
Research Methods in Education
Independent Studies in Education
Graduate Teaching: Department of Education, College of Higher Studies, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 1996-present
Courses: Research in Education
Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education
Philosophy of Education
Sociology of Education
Methodology of Educational research
- Supervise thesis of Master and PhDs in the department of education ,King Saud University since 2000
- In the Defense committee of many master and PhDs at King Saud University .Riyadh and other universities in Saudi Arabia such as Taiba university in Madena.
- Co-supervisor to a PH-D student with Shifeld university . England 2009-present.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
National Councilor, National Guard Schools, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2001-2002. Visited schools, met with staff, and developed programs according to institutional needs. For example, trained teachers and social supervisors in skills communication, and introduced new programs such as one called “Reading for All,” encouraging elementary
school students to read outside their school assignments.
National Councilor, United Nations Development Program (UNDP), United Nations, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 1994. Conducted a study on women laborers in Saudi Arabia, and the possibility of increasing women’s job opportunities. Worked to enhance UNDP participation in government organizations and cultural activities.
Columnist, Al-Jazeera (The Island, a local newspaper), 1982-present, and Al-Watten (The Nation, a national newspaper), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 1990-present. Subjects include: education, the participation of women in public life, freedom for women and other less privileged social classes, other social and cultural matters.
Activities In 2002-2003 :
1- Visiting scholar. Georgetown university, Washington DC .USA. ( July 2002-July 2003)
2- Women and Education in Saudi Arabia : a presentation to the Center for Contemporary Arab studies at Georgetown university ,USA .April 2 ,2003.
3- USA –Saudi relationship: cultural and sociological prospective: paper presented at the annual symposium of the Center for Arab studies: The US in the Middle East: Manifest Destiny? Georgetown university .USA, March, 28 2003.
4- Women and Education in Saudi Arabia: struggle for a change: paper presented to the Academy for Educational development (AED), Center for Gender Equality. Washington DC .April 28, 2003.
5- Invited speaker : Summer Institute on International Affairs : The George Washington University ,Elliot School of International Affairs. June 23-27,2003.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND TRAINING
-Member of the American Sociological Association, Sociology of Education division. U.S.A.
Member of the International Comparative society .( U.S.A).
- Member of the Saudi Educational and Physiological Association.
- Acting member of the monthly Meeting of Female University Professors, Riyadh.
- Participant, Training on Human Relations and Communication Skills, Future Institute for Training and Research, Riyadh, February-April 2000, and February-April 2001.2006
- Training on Human development and school supervision.: ministry of Education
- Board member of the American International school –Riyadh. Since 2005 up to now.
- First Saudi Female to be elected as a Board member of Saudi newspaper (Alwaten ). June 2010. For 4 years.
-Board member of Sunday meeting ( women Group of Riyadh) .( monthly meeting of university professor in Raiydh.-1997-prsent.
- member of Saudi women writer group .2009-present.