IE 428: Scheduling of Industrial Operations
Year 1431-32 Semester 1
This course deals with various problems in the area of scheduling. It includes single machine, Parallel machine, Flow shop, Open shop and Work Force Scheduling. Also, it introduces Project Management which includes project planning, scheduling, and control. In more details, this course will introduce the Critical Path Method (CPM) and Project Evaluation and Review Technique (PERT). In addition, Resource Leveling and Allocation, and Time and Cost Trade-Offs are presented.
Operations Scheduling with Applications in Manufacturing and Services, Michael Pinedo and Xiuli Chao, McGraw Hill 2000
Algorithm for Sequencing and Scheduling, Draft text book by Ibrahim Alharkan, 2010
- Introduction to Scheduling Problem
- Performance Measures of Scheduling
- Single Machine Problem
- Parallel Machine Problem
- Flow Shop Problem
- Open Shop Problem
- Job Shop Problem
- Project Management
- Project Scheduling (CPM and PERT)
- Project Crashing (Time Cost Trade Offs)
- Resource Constrained Scheduling (Single vs Multiple Resource Constraints)
- Resource Leveling (Gantt Chart Analysis, Critical Activities Shifting
- Mid-term exam will be on Tuesday December 14th, 2010 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
- A group of Three or Four students will submit a semester project. A one-page description of the project is due during the 10th week of the semester (i.e. during the period 11th to 15th of Dec., 2010).
- The project report in prescribed format will be due on Wednesday January 12th, 2011. Report should be put in my mail box not later than 2:30 p.m. on the day of submission. For late reports marks will be deducted accordingly.
- All groups will present their project on Thursday January 13th, 2011 from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Each student in every group must participate in the presentation otherwise zero grades will be given for his presentation grade.
Attendance & participation 5%
- Weekly Examination 20%
- Mid-term Examination 20%
- Term Project 15% (10% for report and 5% for presentation)
- Final Exam 40%