Name: Usama Karama
Birth Date: 1.4.1957, Cairo
Marital Status: Married
Address: King Saud University
College of Science
P.O Box 2455
Tel. 009661- 4675894
· More than 20 years experience in Teaching and Research in international Universities and Research Center
· 2 years Postdoctoral Experience at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), USA
· Familiar with the German as well as the USA educational system, from first-hand experience
· Three Patents on Anticancer Agents.
· Many Publications in International Journals.
· Many Research for the Chemical Industries.
Education and Postdoctoral Research
1997-1999: Postdoctoral Research, University of California, Los Angeles - the synthesis of anticancer agents (marine natural products).
1991: Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, University of Hannover, Germany - the synthesis of neuroleptic compounds.
1988: Diploma thesis (M.Sc.) in Organic Chemistry, University of Hannover, Germany.
1988: Diploma in Chemistry, University of Hannover, Germany.
1981: Abitur (German university entrance qualification), College of the University of Hannover, Germany.
Teaching Assistant, Hannover University, Germany.
Dr. rer. nat. (equivalent of Assistant Professor in USA), Hannover University, Germany.
Staff research associate, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, USA.
Senior Scientist, German Research Centre for Biotechnology, Division Natural Product , Braunschweig, Germany.
2001-2005 Assistant Professor, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
2005-2010 Associate Professor, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
2010-present Professor, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Arabic, English, German speaking, reading and writing competence.
1. Research fellowship, Friedrich Ebert foundation, 1990 -1991.
2.Scholarship, Friedrich Ebert foundation, 1986-1988.
Membership of professional organizations:
· Member of the GDCh (Gesellschaft Deutscher Cheiniker e. V.
1.Hassan Alhazmi, Usama Karama, Process Development-Fine Chemicals from Grams to Kilograms, Oxford University press, New York, 2004 King Saud University, 2007.
2.Hassan Alhazmi, Usama Karama, Core Carbonyl Chemistry, Oxford University press, New York 1997, King Saud University, 2008.
· Publications and Patents:
1. Gerhard Hoefle, U. Karama,.. Pharmaceutically Active Macrocycles,
United Kingdom Patent Application GB 2367553, 2002.
2.Gerhard Hoefle, Usama Karama, Process for the production of epothilones, European Patent, EP 1564217 B1, 2006.
3.Gerhard Hoefle, Usama Karama, Degradation of Epothilones and Ethynyl substituted Epothilones, united States Patent, US 7,157,595 B2, 2007.
4. Synthesis of Homobenzoctamine and Homomaprotiline, U. Karama, H. Hoffmann Chemische Berichte, 1992, 125, 2809-2812.
5. Synthesis of 9,10-Dihydro-9,10-propanoanthracene-12-ones Substituted at Bridgehead, H.Hoffmann, U. Karama
Chemische Berichte, 1992, 125, 2803-2807.
6.Identification of Constituents from Organs of Egyptian Mummies, H. Khalaf, U. Karama, A. Hollerbach, M. Techner,
Naturwissenschaften, 1995, 82, 474-476.
7.Methane Emission from Livestock, E. Malt, U Karama, H. Khalaf, Egyptian Journal of Nutrition and Feeds, 1999, 2, 839-845.
8. Higly Diastereoselective Markovnikov Hydration of 3,4-Dialkoxy-2-alkenes via a Hydroboration-Oxidation Process, M. Jung, U. Karama,Tetrahedron Letters, 1999, 45, 7907-7910.
9.Conversion of Homoallylic Alcohol with Alkene Protection to the corresponding Methyl Ketones, M. Jung, U. Karama, R. Marquez, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 1999, 64, 663-665.
10.Chemistry of Bioactive Compounds from Microorganisms, G. Hoefle and U. Karama, Scientific Annual Report 2000, 101-104.
11. Chemistry of Bioactive Compounds from Microorganisms, G. Hoefle and U. Karama, Scientific Annual Report 2001, 102-105.
12.Synthesis of Epothilone 16, 17-Alkyne Analogs by Replacement of the C13-C15(O)-Ring Segment of Natural Epothilone.
G. Hoefle and U. Karama, European Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2003, 1042-1049.
13.Semisynthesis and degradation of the tubulin inhibitor epothilone and tubulysin, G. Hoefle, N. Glaser, T. Leibold, U. Karama, F. Sasse, H. Steinmetz, Pure Appl. Chem,2003,75, 167-178.
14.Stereoselective Synthesis of (E)-α-Bromo-α,β-unsaturated esters.
Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, 2003, 157-160.
15.Synthesis of Trisubstituted Double Bonds By Tandem Halogenation-Wittig Olefination ,Usama Karama.
Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, 2004, 155-158.
16.Efficient One-Pot synthesis of Z-α-Iodo-α-β-Unsaturated Esters, Usama Karama, Journal of Saudi Chemical Socity, 2008, 12,137-140 .
17. One-Pot synthesis of E-α-Chloro-α-β-Unsaturated Esters, Usama Karama , Journal of Chemical Research, 2009,7,405-406.
18. One-Pot Approach to the conversion of Alcohols into -α-Iodo-α-β-unsaturated esters, Usama Karama, Synthetic Communication, 2010, 40, 3447-3451.
19.Synthesis of Bishomobenzoctamine 2-(9,10-dihydro-9,10-propanoanthracen-9-yl)-N-methylethanamine, Usama Karama, Adel AL-Saidey, Abdel Rahman Almansour, Journal of Chemical Research, 2010, 241-242.
20. A Facile One-Pot Synthesis of α-Bromo-α-β-unsaturated esters, Usama Karama, Zeid AL-Othman, Abdullah AL-Majid and Abdulrahman Almansour,molecules, 2010,15,3276-3280.
21. Synthesis of 2-(9,10-dihydro-9,10-propanoanthracen-9-yl)-N-methylethanamine via a [4+2] Cycloaddition, Usama Karama, Adel AL-Saidey, Zeid AL-Othman ,Abdel Rahman Almansour, molecules, 2010,15,4201-4206
22. New aqua rhenium oxocomplex; synthesis, characterization, thermal studies, DFT calculations and catalytic oxidations, Refat Mahfouz, Eida AL-Frag, M. Rafiq H. Siddiqui, Waed Z. Al-Kiali, U. Karama, Arabien Journal of chemistry, 2011, 4, 119-124
23. One-pot combination of the Wittig olefination with bromination, oxidation reaction, Synthetic Communication, in press
24.9-(Pent-4-enyl)anthracene, Natarajan Arumugam, abdulrahman Almansour, Usama Karama, Mohd Rosli and Ibrahim Razak, Acta Cryst. 2011, E67, 02251.
25. (2RS,3SR,10SR,11RS)-3,10-Diphenoxy-18,21-dioxa-5,8-diazapentacyclo-[184.108.40.206.0]hexacosa-19260,12,14,16,22,24-hxaene-4,9-dioneethyl acetate hemisolvate, J. Suresh, Natarajan Arumugam, abdulrahman Almansour, Usama Karama and p. Lakshman , Acta Cryst. 2011, E67, 02203.
26. Synthesis, spectroscopic Characterization and catalytic significance of palladium (II) complexes derived from 1,1 bis(diphenylphosphinomethyl)ethane, Ismail Warad, Mohammad Azam, Usama Karama, Saud Al-Resayes, Ahmed Aouissi, Belkheir Hammouti, Journal of Molecular Structure, 2011, 107-112.
27. 11-hydroxy-9-(prop-2-en-1-yl)-9,10-dihydro-9,10-propanoanthracen-12-one, Usama Karama, abdulrahman Almansour, Natarajan Arumugam, Ibrahim Abdul Razak and Suhana Arshad, Acta Cryst. 2011, E67, 02487.
28. Comutional and Spectral Investigation of 5,12-Dhydro-5,12-ethanonaphthacene-13-carbaldehyde, Usama Karama, Adel El-Azhry, abdulrahman Almansour, Abdulla Al-Kahtani, Turki Al-Turki and Mohammed Jaafar, Molecules, 2011, 16, 6746-6746.
29. An efficient synthesis of highly functionalized novel chromeno[4,3-b]pyrroles and indolizino[6,7-b] indoles as potent antimicrobial and antioxidant agents, Biorg. Med. Chem. Lett. , 2012 (article in press)
Papers and presentation at conferences and seminars:
Novel Side Chain modified Epothilone, Algaue, Germany, 2001
· Mummies and Computers, science seminar, Hannover, Germany, 1996.
· Hazardousness of Dioxine, Ecology study seminar, Sehnde, Germany. 1993.
· Antidepressant Compounds, Annual Conference of Chemistry Department, Hannover, Germany, 1991.
Research for chemical industries:
· Quantitative determination of Nonivamide in plaster, Chemtech company, Wedemark, Germany, 1994.
· Research about insitue manufacture of Chlorine dioxide, Chemtech company, Wedemark, Germany, 1994.
· Research about degradation of organic pollutants in waste water, was carried out on request of Water Institute in Hannover, 1993
· Research for Asaka company, Japan, to remove PCB for polluted land, 1992.
Contribution to international meetings and scientific visits to industrial facilities:
· American Chemical Society, March 21-25, 1999, Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
· Visit to BASF company, 1996, Frankfurt, Germany.
· Visit to Sichel Company, 1995, Hannover, Germany.
· Bayer AG company for pharmaceuticals, 1993, Leverkusen, Germany.
· Visit to Riedel de Haën Company, 1992, Seelze, Germany.
· Environmental protection meeting, 1992, Göttingen, Germany.
· Young German chemists meeting, 1988, Göttingen, Germany.
Social Activities and Committee Memberships:
· Member of the Accreditation Committee of the Chemistry Department,King Saud university.
· Board member of German School-Riyadh.
· Environmental consultant, Kyrochem company-Wedemark-Germany.
· Teaching experimental organic chemistry.
· Teaching undergraduate and graduate students.
· Fundamental of organic chemistry.
· General chemistry.
· Medicinal chemistry
· Analysis of organic Mixtures.
· Environmental chemistry.
· Chemistry of Natural Products. Stereochemistry.
· Organometallic Compounds.
· Spectroscopic analysis: Infrared absorption spectroscopy (IR). UV/Vis absorption.
· Gas phase separation and analysis.
· Gas chromatography / Mass spectrometry.
· Nuclear magnetic resonance.
· Synthesis of biological active natural products.