King Saud University
College of Applied Medical Sciences
Rehabilitation Sciences Department
1st Semester 1428/ 1429 H
Course Title : Medical Aspects of Disabling Conditions
Course Number : RHS 442
Credit Hours : 3 + 0 = 3
Course Instructor: Prof. Alaa Abdel Salam
The course presents the fundamental facts and concepts of the medical aspects of disability diseases for cardiovascular, pulmonary and nervous systems. In this course the student will study the mechanism, pathology, changes and the basic principles of management of disabling diseases of these major systems.
On completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Develop a clear understanding of the mechanism behind the appearance of the disabling condition of the major systems: cardiovascular, respiratory and nervous.
2. Recognize the bases and strategies for interacting purposefully and effectively with disabled subjects.
3. Evaluate and manage patients with medical cardiovascular, chest and neurological conditions.
4. Understand the physical therapy role in these conditions.
Week 1 The basic concepts about impairment, disability and handicap.
Week 2 & 3 The outline of anatomy, physiology and development of cardiovascular system.
Week 4 Coronary heart disease (Atherosclerosis, Ischemia and Infarction)
Week 5 Rheumatic fever ,valvular diseases and heart failure.
Week 6 In-course examination (1).
Week 7 Hypertension, hypotension and cardiac arrhythmia, Congenital heart diseases.
Week 8 Heart Surgery, Peripheral Vascular Diseases.
Week 9 Anatomy, physiology and mechanics of respiratory movements.
Week 10 Restrictive lung diseases and pleural diseases.
Week 11 Obstructive lung diseases.
Week 12 In-course Examination (2).
Week 13 Respiratory failure.
Occupational lung diseases.
Week 14 Basic terms for the neurological disorders.
Week 15 The basic concepts for physiotherapy of the cardiovascular, respiratory and neurological disorders.
Week 16 Final examination.
• In course examinations 40%
• Final examination 60%
1. Textbook of Medicine, Cecil, W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia.
2. Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy, Irwins and Tecklin J., C.V. Mosby Co., U.S.A.
3. Cash’s Textbook: Chest, heart and Vascular Disorders for the Physiotherapists, Patricia A. Dawine, published by Faber and Faber, London.