MIRZA REHMAT BAIG
Physics & Astronomy Department , College of Science
King Saud University, PO Box 2455
Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Tel: +9661 4676629
EDUCATION: Ph.D. (Physics) University of Reading, U.K. (1982)
Thesis Title: A Study of Radiation Damage in Materials by
Small Angle Neutron Scattering.
M.Sc. (Applied Radiation Physics) Birmingham
University, U.K. (1978).
M.Sc. (Physics) University of the Punjab, Lahore,
B.Sc. (Physics & Mathematics) University of the Punjab,
Lahore, Pakistan (1967).
12/90 - Present Associate Professor, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
2/90 - 12/90 Professor (Physics) and Vice Principal Postgraduate Government Forman Christian College, Lahore (Pakistan).
1/89 - 2/90 Professor and Chairman, Physics Department, Postgraduate Govt. College, Lahore - Pakistan.
11/87 - 1/89 Professor and Chairman, Physics Department, Postgraduate Govt. College for Science - Lahore.
5/87 - 11/87 Professor (Physics) and Principal Govt. Degree College, Hafizabad - Pakistan.
8/84 - 5/87 Assistant Professor (Physics) Postgraduate Govt. College Lahore - Pakistan.
11/82 - 8/84 Lecturer Govt. Gordon College, Rawalpindi - Pakistan.
9/77 - 11/82 Proceeded for higher studies (M.Sc. & Ph.D) U.K.
11/71 - 9/77 Lecturer Govt. College Satellite Town, Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
HONOURS AND AWARDS:
· Roll of Honour from Government College, Lahore (Pakistan).
· Certificate of Merit, by the Punjab University, Lahore (Pakistan).
· Certificate of Merit, for services rendered to the Physics Society Govt.
· Scholarship holder in academic career.
· Award of an Overseas Training Scholarship on merit.
1. Professor and Vice Principal, Government F.C. College, Lahore.
2. Professor and Chairman, Physics Department, Government College, Lahore, (Pakistan).
3. Professor and Chairman, Physics Department, Government Science College, Lahore (Pakistan).
4. Training in Administration and Management Organised by the Government (Education Department), Lahore (1984).
5. Member, Committee for Planning & Development Courses, Physics Department, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia, since 1993-1995.
· Neutron Scattering Society of America (NSSA) since 1994.
· International Nuclear Track Society (Germany) since 1988.
· Institute of Physics (Pakistan) since 1988.
· Physical Society of Pakistan 1989.
· Advisory Council, Scientific Journal "Science International", Lahore,
1989 - 1993.
PARTICIPATION (National & International) CONFERENCES/ SEMINARS:
· Delivered a seminar at King Fahad University of Petroleum &
Minerals, Dahran, Saudi Arabia (1992).
· Neutron Conference Organised by Institute of Physics, London, (1982).
· Presented a paper in the International Conference organised by the University Grnts Commission (Islamabad) I.C.T.P. Trieste (Italy) ISESCO (Morocco) UNESCO (India).
· 14th International Conference on Solid State Nuclear Track Detectors
Lahore, Pakistan (1988).
· National Seminar to identify strategies to integrate Education System
and Curriculum with the World of work organised by the Ministry of Education, Islamabad, (1988).
· International Conference on Materials Science held in Multan organised
by the University of Multan, Pakistan (1989).
· Fourth National Conference on Solid State Physics 14-16 April,
organised by Quaid-I-Azam, University, Islamabad (1984).
OTHER ACADEMIC / research activities:
· Co-ordinator for Physics (106) Course, at King Saud University, Riyadh
· Supervised Postgraduate Solid State Nuclear Track Research Detection
Laboratory at Government College, Lahore (1984-1989).
· Resource Person in Micro Testing - Science Course for International
Islamic University, Islamabad (1986).
· Resource Person in the 4th Summer School in Science for President's
Pool of Talented Students Organized by B.I.S.E. (Lahore) and Pakistan Science Foundation Islamabad (1985).
· National Seminar on Integrated Science, Ministry of Education, the
British Council, Islamabad (1977).
· College Teacher Training Programme organized by Education
Department, Government of the Punjab, Lahore (1974).
· Computer Training Course, Computer Bureau, Cabinet Division,
Government of Pakistan, Islamabad (1983).
· Supervising Postgraduate Radon Detection Research Laboratory since
Born 12 October 1947 - Married and having one child.
At all levels B.Sc. & M.Sc. and also Supervised 8 Master Research Thesis, and 10 (TEN) B.Sc. research projects.
M.R. Baig, S. Messoloras and R.J. Stewart., "Effect of Aging Temperature on Precipitates in Al-11.8 at % Zn"
J. Nat. Sci. and Math, ISSN 0022-2941, Vol. 29, No.2, pp. 227 (1989).
M.R. Baig, S. Messoloras and R.J. Stewart., "Pseudo Equilibrium in Room Temperature Aged al-11.8 at % Zn alloy during small angle Neutron Scattering Experiments".
J. Nat. Sci. and Math., ISSN 0022-2941, Vol. 28, pp.313 (1988).
M.R. Baig, K. Ali, S. Messoloras and R.J. Stewart, "An Introduction to Small Angle Neutron Scattering"
J. Sci. international, ISSNo. 1013-5316, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 104(1988).
M.R. Baig, and S. Manzoor, "Study of Behaviour of Different Etchants Using Plastic CN-85 Nuclear Track Detector"
J. Nat. Sci. and Math. ISSNO.0022-2941, Vol. 27, No.1, pp, 59(1987).
M.R. Baig, Determination of Range and Critical Angle of Fission Fragments in Reference Glass, J. Nat. Sci. and Math, ISSN 0022-2941, Vol.26, No.1, pp.69(1986).
M.R. Baig, Thermal Neutron Fleunce Measurements Using Solid State Nuclear Track Detectors, J. Nat. Sci. and Math., ISSN 0022-2941, Vol.26, No.2, pp.55(1986).
S. Rehman, S. Manzoor, I.E. Qureshi, A.S. Chohan, S.M. Akhtar M.R. Baig,
F. Ansari and H.A. Khan, "Ternary and Quaternary events in thereaction (8.68 MeV/u) 238U + Au (Natural) using Mica as Detector"
GSI (Germany), Scientific report, ISSN 0174-0814, pp. 55(1988).
M.R. Baig, S. Messoloras and R.J. Stewart "Absence of voids in fast Neutron Irradiated Zirconium by small angle neutron scattering" Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids, 108, 355 (1989).
M.R. Baig, S. Messoloras and R.J. Stewart, "An Investigation of the effects of electron energy and flux on the precipitates in an Al-11.9 at % Zn alloy"
Materials Letters 9(2,3) 113(1990).
M.R. Baig, S. Gupta, S. Messoloras and R.J. Stewart, "The effect of inhomogeneity size and concentration on the analysis of small angle neutron scattering data"
J. Appl. Crystallography 24, 349(1991).
M.R. Baig, S. Messoloras and R.J. Stewart, "A small angle neutron scattering study of the effects of low dose electron irradiation on the precipitates in Al-11.8 at % Zn alloy"
Material Letters 17, 99(1993).
A.A. Al-Aql, D.H. Dughaish and M.R. Baig, "Study of the Martensitic tranformation in shape memory Nitinol proton irradiated alloy by electrical resistivity measurements"
Material Letters 17, 103(1993).
M.R. Baig, "A small angle neutron scattering study of the effects of high dose electron irradiation on the precipitates in an Al-11.8 at % Zn alloy"
Material Letters 20, 271(1994).
I.A.N. Al-Agil, M.R. Baig, and N.F. Binzager, "Determination of the Concentration of Radioactive Nuclides in Baby Milk Formula"
J. Sci. International (ISSN 1013-5316) Code SINTE8 Vol. 6(2) 157-158 (1994).
M.R. Baig, "Investigation of orientational anisotropic scattering in Neutron Irradiated Gallium Arsenide (GaAs)"
Material Letters 22, 35(1995).
M.R. Baig, "Dissolution and Growth of Precipitates under Electron Irradiation in Al-11.8 at % Zn alloy by Small Angle Neutron Scattering"
Proceedings Materials Research Society U.S.A. Vol. 376, 371-376(1995).
A.A. Al-Aql, Z.H. Dughaish, M.R. Baig, and A.M. Hassib, "Effect of aging and annealing on the Electrical Resistivity of Proton Irradiated Nitinol"
Physica B 210, 87-90(1995).
M.S. Garawi and M.R. Baig, "Scattering of 10 MeV 238U ions with a Gold Target using Mica as Solid State Nuclear Track Detector"
Journal of Isotope and Radiation Research, Vol.27(1) 11-16(1995).
M.R. Baig, "Investigation of growth in post electron irradiated Al-11.8 at % Zn alloy by small angle neutron scattering"
Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids, Vol.138, 243-249(1996).
I.A. Al-Agil and M.R. Baig, "Comparative Study of Mineral Constituents in various Animal Livers by PIXE"
Journal of Isotope and Radiation Research ISSN 0021-1907 (In Press).
M.R. Baig and M.S. Garawi, "Investigation of variation of average solute concentration inside and outside the matrix under irradiation environment."
Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids (In Press).
S .S .Al-Ghamdi , G. A. Al-Khougeer, M.R.Baig
Integrated Radon Measurements In King Saud University Girl’s Residences Riyadh, Arab Gulf Journal of Scientific research ( Bahrain),Vol 24. (2006).
S. S. Al-Ghamdi ,G .A Al-Khougeer, M.R.Baig
Indoor Radon Levels and Distribution in Occupied and Unoccupied Rsidential Buildings In Students’ Campus at King saud University, Riyadh,Journal of king Saud University (2006) ( in the press).
M. S. Garawi, M.R.Baig, M.Z. Al-anazi
Residential Radon concentration measurements in different Populated Areas in Riyadh (Saudi-Arabia), Journal of Biophysics (Egypt) (2007) (in the press).
M . R . Baig
Studying the Alpha Response of Polyallydiglycol Carbonate (CR-39) Nuclear Track Detector under Post Integrated Sunlight Exposure.Journal of scientific Research ,University
of The Punjab Lahore (Pak) (2007)
Investigating Radon Transport through Different Saudi Building Materials. Journal of scientific Research niversity of The Punjab Lahore (Pak) (2007)
Scattering of 10 MeV U-238 heavy Ions With Silver Target Using CR-39 Solid State nuclear Track detector, submitted to Third Saudi Science Conference held in March 2007 , at Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia .(Presented)
M.R.BAIG, M. S. AL-SALHI AND A.H. AL-FARAIKH
STRUCURAL INVESTIGATION OF LATENT TRACKS OF POLY ALLY DIGLYCOL (CR-39) IRRADIATED WITH UV LASER. Third Saudi Science Conference,KSU , March(2007)
M. S. Al -Salhi, M.R.Baig
The Effects of Laser irradiation on Latent track structure in Cellulose nitrate (CN-85)Detector , presented in Saudi Physical Society Conference held on 18-20, December 2006, at Riyadh , Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. (Presented).
– M. S. Garawi, M.R.Baig, M.Z. Al-anazi
Indoor Radon distribution Inside different Rooms of Residential buildings in Riyadh, Sci.Int.(Lahore) ,(6),81-82(2004)
M.R. Baig, Study of Radon diffusion in different Saudi Building material, using Solid State Nuclear Track Detectors (To be published).
M.R. Baig, "Longterm Steady State Radon Measurement in Radon Laboratory, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (To be submitted).
M.R. Baig, Garawi, M.S., Al-Anazi, M.D., "Measurement of Radon Concentration in Saudi Dwellings in Different Areas of Riyadh (To be published).
M.R. Baig, Garawi, M.S., "Relative Higher Concentration of Radon in Mud Houses in Old Diriya, West of Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) (To be published).
M.R. Baig, Garawi, M.S. and Al-Anazi, M.D., "Observation of Seasonal Variation of Radon Concentration in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (To be published).
M.R. Baig, "Excellent agreement between the measurements of two different kinds of passive radon dosimeters by track etch technique" (To be published).
Took Active Part in the Discussions During the Publication of the following Papers:
1) A.M. Al-Soraya Isotope & Radiation Research
24, 2, pp. 95-101(1992).
2) M.S. Al-Garawi Radiation Protection Dosimetry
Vol.63, No.3, pp. 297-280(1996).
3) I.A.N. Al-Agil Science International Vol.4(3) pp.213-216(1992).
4) M.S. Garawi To investigate Track recording and etching
properties 241Am irradiated CR-39, Detector.
Proceedings of First Saudi Materials Science Conference (2000).
Reaseach Work Under Progress:
1. Study of Physical changes induced by industrial 60Co Source in Saudi Manufactured Styrene Butadine rubber.
2. Measurement of radio activity from Saudi Building Materials by Solid State Nuclear Track detection technique.
3. To Study Radon Exhalation rate from Saudi Building Material using Solid State Nuclear Track Detectors.