King Saud University
College of Applied Medical Sciences
Rehabilitation Sciences Department
Course Title : Hydrotherapy
Course Number : RHS 327
Credit Hours : 2 + 1 = 3
Course Instructor : Dr. Abdulrahim Zakaria
- This course will highlight on physical properties of water and the methodology of application of these properties in practice and treatment. Both heat and cold application will be explained and practiced. The use of wax will be also explained.
- Various techniques for the treatment of different medical, orthopedic, neurological and other conditions which will be treated in swimming pole will be explained. The indications and the contraindication of hydrotherapy treatment will also be explained.
At the end of the course student should be able to:
1) Understand and utilize the physical properties of water for physical therapy treatment.
2) Recognize various techniques used in treatment of various medical conditions.
3) Understand the application of heat and cold modalities for physiotherapy.
4) Understand the application of wax for conditions required physical therapy.
- General introduction to the subject.
- Physical properties of water.
- Recording system for the patient.
- Evaluation and Assessment (SOAP) for patient undergoing for hydrotherapy.
- Physical properties of the water (continued).
- Techniques used for hydrotherapy treatment.
- Hydrotherapy modalities (Hot packs, Ice, Wax).
- Hydrotherapy modalities (Whirpole, Hubber tank).
- Hydrotherapy modalities (Swimming pole).
- Hydrotherapy for neurosurgical problem.
- HT. for orthopedic condition.
- HT. for rheumatic condition.
- HT. for physician fitness and worming up.
- HT. for neurological condition.
- Midterm Exam I 20%
- Midterm Exam II 20%
- Practical Exam 20%
- Final Exam 40%
1) Adult Hydrotherapy: Practice and Applications, C.L. Towmy, Heineman Medical Book.