1. Name: Said Faiz Al-Said
2. Academic rank: Professor.
3. Academic Degree:
§ Degree: PhD.
§ University: Marburg, Germany.
§ Major field: Semitic languages and civilizations.
§ First primary field: Archaeology and languages of Mesopotamia.
§ Second primary field: Near Eastern archaeology and Hebrew language.
4. Academic Career:
§ 2004-2006 Chairman, Department of Archaeology and Museology
§ 2006 to date: Dean, College of Tourism and Archaeology.
College of Tourism and Archaeology, King Saud University,
P. O. Box 2627, Riyadh - 12372, Saudi Arabia.
Office phone: 4675227,
1. Al-Said- Said, Die Personennamen der minaischen Inschriften, Eine etymologische und lexikalische Studie im Breich der simitischen Sprachen, Wiesbaden 1995.
2. Al-Said- Said, Almukhtar min ibdaat alkhat alarabi, (co-author), Riyadh 1419H/19999.
3. Al-Said- Said, Unpublished Lihyanite inscriptions from the National Museum, Riyadh Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, King Saud University, college of Languages and Translation, Research Centre, Riyadh 1421H/2000.
4. Al-Said- Said, King Nabonid's Campaign against North Western Arabia, The Saudi Historical Society, Historical researches, 8th issue, Riyadh 1421H/2000.
5. Al-Said- Said, (co-author) Hadharat Al-Kitabah, King Abdulaziz Library, Riyadh 1423H/2002.
6. Al-Said- Said, Cultural relationships between Arabia and Egypt in the light of Early Arabian inscriptions, King Fahad National Library, 2003.
7. Al-Said- Said (co-author), Antiquities of Hail region, Directorate of antiquities and museums, Riyadh 1424H/2003.
8. Al-Said- Said, (co-author)Antiquities of Al-Qaseem region, Directorate of antiquities and museums, Riyadh 1424H/2003.
9. Al-Said, S. Al-Munif, A., Schriftkulturen, King Abdulaziz Public Library, Riyadh 2004.
10. Al-Said, Said. Bibliographie Deutschsprachiger Litiratur der Koning Fahd Bibliothek, Konig Fahd Nationalbibliothek, Riyadh 2004.
§ Refereed papers:
11. Al-Said, Said, "Early south Arabian inscriptions from Al-Birk" (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia), Ad-Darah, Vol. 4, 1997, pp.121-61.
12. Al-Said- Said, "An analytical study of new Lihyanite inscriptions", King Saud University Journal, Vol. 13, Arts, 1421 H/2001, pp. 333 – 76.
13. Al-Said- Said, "Foreign wives of the Maeenians in the light of new inscriptions", Adumatu 5, 1422H / 2002, pp. 53-72.
14. Al-Said- Said, "New Sabaean inscriptions referring to the disease", Ages 12/1, pp. 7-21. 1423H/2002.
15. Al-Said- Said, "Thamudic inscriptions from Tabuk", Ad-Darah 4, pp.97-129. Riyadh 1424H/2003,.
16. Al-Said- Said, "Thamudic inscriptions from Tayma", King Saud University Journal, Arts 17, 1425H/2004, p. 183-225 .
17. Al-Said- Said, "From Palmyra to Jawf Al-Yemen: A south Arabian inscription written by Palmyrenes", The Saudi Historical Society 4, pp. 11-32.
18. Al-Said- Said, A new Sabaean inscription, Sabaean Studies (Dirasat Sabaia), Sana 2005: 39-49.
19. Al-Said- Said, Historical roots of Arab migrations to the Arabic Morocco, The first Gulf-Moroccan conference, Ad-Darah, Al Tamimi Foundation for scientific research and information, Tunis 2005: 157-68.
20. Al-Said- Said, (Co-author), “Tayma – Spring 2004, Report on the Joint Saudi Arabian-German Archaeological project”, Atlal 19 (2006): 91-116.
Research in German and English languages:
21. Al-Said- Said, Die Verben rtkl und saraba und ihre Bedeutung in den minaischen Inschriften, Arabie Felix, Beitrage zurSprache und Kultur des vorislamischen Arabien, Festschrift Waltre Muller zum 60. geburtstag, Harasowitz, 1994.
22. Al-Said- Said, Der Babylonische Konig Nabonid in den Taimanischen Inschriften, in: Jenaer Beitrage zum Vorderen Orient 5, Wiesbaden 2002, p. 105 – 122.
23. Al-Said- Said, Early South Arabian - Islamic bilingual inscription from Najran, in: Arabian archaeology and epigraphy, (under publication), May, 2004.
24. Al-Said- Said, Eine unvollendete sabaische Urkunde, in: Arabian archaeology and epigraphy, (under publication), May, 2004.
25. Al-Said- Said, Eine minaische Widmungsinchrift der Ehefrau Konigs Waqah'il Sadiq, internationale Tagung anlaesslich des 70. Gebertstag von Professor W.W. Mueller. Epigraphik und Archaeologie des Antiken Suedarabien (under publication).
26. Al-Said, Said (HG), Bibliographie, deutschsprachiger Literatur der
König Fahd Nationalbibliothek,König-Fahd- Nationalbibliothek,
§ Translations from German into Arabic:
27. Euting, Julius, Tagebuch eine Reise in Inner-arabien, Hrs. Kerstin und Uwe Pfullmann, Soldi-Verlag, Hamburg 1993. Its title in Arabic: Rihla Dakhil Al-Jazeerah Al-Arabiyah, Darrat Al-Malik Abdulaziz, Riyadh 1419H.
28. Germanus, Julius, Allah Akbar, Hole 1961 (Under publication), Darrat Al-Malik Abdulaziz, Riyadh.
29. Tariff al-Samman, Inschriften auf Altarabischen Denkmaelern im Kunsthistorischen, Museum in Wien, Its title in Arabic is: Kitabat Ala Athar Islamiyah min Mathaf Tariekh Al-fan fi Vienna, The Historical Journal 1, The Saudi Historical Society, Riyadh 2001.
30. Alios Musil, Ibn Saud Oesterreichischer Monaschrift fuer Orient, Wien 1917. Its title in Arabic is: Alios Musil, Al-Saud, Dirasah fi tareekh Ad- Dawlah As- Saudia, Riyadh 1424H.
31. Maria-Hanke Chr., Qaryat Sudus, Prinzipien der Planung und
Geschtaltung einer Ortschaft in Zintralarabien,Universitaet
Kaiserslautern 2004. Its title in Arabic: Qaryat Sudus, Beirut,
7. Archaeological Fieldworks:
§ Participated in King Saud University archaeological excavations at Qaryat al-Fau (During 1986, 1987, 1995, 1996).
§ Field Director of King Saud University archaeological excavations at Qaryat al-Fau in 2002.
§ Conducted an archaeological survey on sites along the Red Sea coast in al Birk region. Results of the survey are published in " Old south Arabian inscriptions from Al-Birk (Saudi Arabia)", Ad-Darah, vol. 4, 1997, pp. 121-161.
§ Conducted an archaeological survey on inscriptions and rock arts of Tayma Province. The results appeared in the book entitled: King Nabonid campaign on North Western Arabia.
§ Carried out an archaeological survey on inscriptions and rock arts of Tabuk region. The first part of the results of the survey is published in a paper entitled "Thamudic inscriptions from Tabuk", Addarah 4, 2004: 79-129.
§ Director of King Saud University archaeological excavations at al-Ula region in the North West of Saudi Arabia, 2004.
§ CO-Director and participant in the joint Saudi Arabian–German archaeological project at Tayma (2004-…).
8. Symposia and Seminars:
1. Participated in the fourth International conference on Yemen archaeology and civilization. Sana 11 – 14/11/1418H.
2. Participated in the international symposium on the development of linguistic terms held at Ibn Zuhr University, Morocco, 9/11/1999. The paper presented is entitled "The semantic development of linguistic terms in inscriptions and literal Arabic"
3. Participated in the international conference on the German traveler and orientalist Julius Euting and the new researches on the archaeology and history of Arabia. The conference was held at Tuebingen University in Germany from 11-14/6/1999. I presented a paper entitled "Arabic translation to biographies of the German orientalist and traveler Julius Euting".
4. Participated in the second International conference made by the German society for oriental studies at Marburg University, Germany, from 29/12/ 1420 to 1/1/1421. The paper presented is entitled" New Thamudic inscriptions referring to the Babylonian king Nabonid".
5. Participated in the first seminar of specialists of Semitic languages, held by the German Society for oriental studies at Jena University (Germany) from 11-13/2000. The title of the research paper is "The new archaeological discoveries in the northwest of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia".
6. Participated in the international symposium on oriental languages and studies, at Marburg University, from 9-15/1/2001. The title of the paper was "Archaeology in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its significance for writing early history of the East".
7. Participated in the international symposium on Sabaean studies, held by the German institute of archaeology at Berlin fro 22-26/4/2001. The title of the paper presented was "New inscriptions from southern Arabia".
8. Participated in the symposium of "world inscriptions and writings through ages" held by Alexandria Library from 21-24/2/1424 H. The title of the paper was "The appearance and development of writing in the Arabia Peninsula".
9. Participated in the Gulf-Maghrebi conference held by King Abdul Aziz Darrat and Al-Tamimi foundation at Tunisia from ……. The title of the paper presented was "The historical roots of Arabic migrations to Arabic Maghreb".
10. Participated in the scientific symposium on ancient inscriptions of The Arabian Peninsula, held by Marburg University in Germany from 26-27/9/2003. The research paper was on "New texts from southern Arabia".
11. Participated in the conference of "Makkah the cultural capital for year 2003". I was the reporter of the opening session.
12. Member of the Saudi delegation to “Book fair” (Arab World), held at Frankfort 2004.
13. Participated in the conference on recent archaeological discoveries, held by the German Institute of Archaeology. I presented a paper entitled “Results of archaeological excavations at al-Fau site”.
14. Participated in the symposium on criticism and its role in the Arab World Cultural Development, held at Tunisia from 14th to 19th April 2005. The research paper I delivered is entitled “Antiquities of Saudi Arabia”.
15. Participated in the conference of Saudi-German2.
16. Participated in the Saudi–German cultural meetings held by King Abdulaziz General Library in 2/3/1426H.
17. Participated in the first conference for Deans of the GCC Tourism Colleges, held at Manamah in 19th May 2005.
18. Participated in Yarmouk annual meeting for studies of ancient inscriptions and writings, held during 12th-14th November 2006. the research paper I delivered was entitled “New Incsriptions from Dadan (al-Ula) in the Northwest of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia”.
9. General Lectures:
19. General lecture on "Significance of Tayma archaeological tombstones in the writing of early history of northern Arabia". The lecture was delivered at the German Institute of archaeology at Berlin in 21/2/2001.
20. General lecture on "Archaeology of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its significance in development of tourism". The lecture was presented at the Arab world institute at Paris in 22/4/2004.
21. General Lecture on “The Saudi-German cultural relations: current state and prospects”, delivered during the GCC events activities at Berlin held during 7th-9th November 2006.
22. General lecture on “Recent Archaeological discoveries in Saudi Arabia” presented at Louvre Museum I 29th February 2007.
23. General lecture on “History of Arab writings” delivered at Jeddah Literal Club in21/6/2007.
10. Activities and societies:
1. 1994/1413 A lecturer at Marburg University, Germany.
2. 2001/1421 a visiting professor at Marburg University, Germany.
3. Member of the research centre, College of Arts, King Saud University (2002-2005).
4. Reporter of time-table committee, Department of archaeology and museology, College of Arts (2002-2005).
5. Member of the committee reviewing MA and PhD plans at the College of Arts (2000-2002).
6. Member of the Association of Arab Archaeologists.
7. Member of the Association of Arab Historians.
8. Member of GCC society for history and archaeology. .
9. Member of the Saudi society for archaeological studies.
10. Member of the Saudi historical society.
11. Elected in 1418 H as secretary of the Saudi society for archaeological studies.
12. Acted as a referee for a number of research papers of specialized local and international journals.
13. Part- time consultant for the Supreme Commission for the development of tourism (2002-2003).
14. Co-operated with King Abdul Aziz National Library as a consultant of cultural affairs (2003-2006).
15. Tourism Committee member of Riyadh Industrial and Commercial Chamber (from 2006 to date).
16. Part-time consultant at the Ministry of High Education from 2005 to date.
17. Editor-in-chief for the annual publication in Archaeology, Department of Archaeology, College of tourism and Archaeology, from 2006 to date.
18. Editor-in-chief for books on archaeological studies published by the Saudi Society for Archaeological studies, from 1998 to date.
19. Head of the scientific committee to rearrange the Department of Archaeology and Museology and promote it to a College of Tourism and archaeology (2006).
20. Head of the Committee of the College of Tourism and Archaeology courses (2006-2007).
21. Membership of the German Institute of Archaeology.
22. Member of the Committee of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Abdullah bin Abdulaziz International Award for Translation (2006).
23. Scientific Committee Chair of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Abdullah bin Abdulaziz International Award for Translation (from 2006 to date 2006).
24. Director of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Abdullah bin Abdulaziz International Award for Translation (from 2006 to date).
11.Scholarships and grants:
·2001-2001 awarded Alexander von Humboldt scholarship.
· Awarded Shoman’s Prize for the year 2003 on humanitarian science.
· Awarded patent on distinction by the German Institute of Archaeology, in 2006.