Name : Mohamed Abdul-Ghani Othman Moshrif
Place and Date of Birth : Medina,1944
Academic rank : Professor
Major : Sedimentology
Government sector : King Saud University 1971-2003.
Academic qualifications :
1. B.Sc. Degree in Geology, Dec. 1970 from University
of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Washington, U.S.A.
2. M.Sc. Degree in Sedimentology, April 1974, from University of Wales, Swansea, U.K . Thesis title : Sedimentology of the Rhaetic Rocks of South Wales.
3. Ph.D. Degree in Sedimentology, Sept. 1976, from University of Wales, Swansea, U.K. Thesis title : Sedimentology of the Lower Cretaceous Rocks of Central Saudi Arabia.
Academic Position Held :
1-Date of employment, Jan. 1971.
2- Demonstrator, 1971- 1972 .
3- June 1972- Sept. 1976, on Scholarship at University of Wales.
( expenses paid by King Saud University to major in Sedimentology for M.Sc. & Ph.D.Degrees).
4- Lecturer , 1976-1978 .
5- Assistant Professor, 1978-1980.
6- Associate Professor, 1980 -1990 .
7- Professor 1990-2003 .
8- Retired since 2003 .
Administrative Position :
Chairman of Geology Department, academic years , 1988-1990
1-Kelling , G. and Moshrif, M.A. 1977. The Orientation of Fossil Bivalves in a Pene-Littoral Sequence, Jour. Sedimentary Petrology, Vol. 47, No. 3, p. 1342—1346.
2-Moshrif, M.A., 1978 a, Stratigraphy, Sedimentation and
Palaeoenvironments of Middle Cretaceous Rocks of Central Saudi Arabia (Abstract) Bull. Am. Assoc. Petrol. Geologists, Vol. 62/3, p. 546—547 .
3-Moshrif, M.A., 1978 b, Environmental Interpretation of Sand Grains Surface Textures in the Biyadh-Wasia Sandstone Formation in Central Saudi Arabia, Jour. of Faculty of Science, Univ. of Riyadh, Vol. 9, p. 119-133.
4-Moshrif, M.A., 1979, Depositional Environments of the Buwaib -Biyadh-Wasia Rocks Deduced by X-Ray Diffraction Analysis, Jour. of Faculty of Science, Univ. of Riyadh, Vol. 10, p.123-141
5- Moshrif, M.A., 1980 a, Recognition of Fluvial Environments in the Biyadh-Wasia Sandstones as Revealed by Textural Analysis, Jour. Sedimentary Petrology, Vol. 50. No. 2, p.603-612.
6-Moshrif, M.A., 1980 b, Cementation, Diagenesis and Paragenetic Sequence in the Biyadh-Wasia Sandstones Central Saudi Arabia
(Abstract) Bull. Am. Assoc. Petrol. Geologists, Vol. 6415, p. 754.
7- Moshrif, M.A. 1980 c, Cementation, Diagenesis and Paragenetic Sequence in the Lower-Middle Cretaceous of Central Saudi Arabia, Jour. Univ. Kuwait (Sci.) Vol. 7, p.245—262.
8-Moshrif, M.A., 1981, Sedimentation and Paleogeography of the Lower Cretaceous in Central Saudi Arabia, Jour. Coll. Sci. Univ. Riyadh, Vol. 12 (l),p. 205—231.
9-Sharief, F.A. and Moshrif, M.A., 1982, Age of Sakaka Sandstone, Al-Jauf Area, Saudi Arabia, Proc. of 1st Jordanian Geological Conference, 6-8th Sept. 1982, Amman, Jordan, p. 223—230
10-Moshrif, M.A., 1982, Sedimentary and Environmental Analysis of Hanifa Formation (Upper Jurassic) in Central Saudi Arabia (Abstract) Presented at the 11th International Association of Sedimentologists Congress, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, p. 154.
11-Moshrif, M.A., 1983, Fining-Upward cycles in the Lower-Middle Cretaceous, in Central Saudi Arabia, Jour. Coll. Sci., King Saud Univ. Vol. 14 (1) p. 145—156.
12-Moshrif, M.A., and Sahrief, F.A., 1983, Paleoenvironment
Interpretation of the Sakaka Sandstone as Revealed by Clay Mineral Analysis, Bull, of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, King Abdul-Aziz University, Jeddah, No. 5, p.167-172.
13-Moshrif, M.A. and Kelling, G., 1984, Stratigraphy and Sedimentary History of Upper-Lower and Middle Cretaceous Rocks, Central Saudi Arabia, Mineral Resources Bulletin 28,Deputy Minestry for Mineral Resources, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, 28 p.
14-Moshrif, M.A., 1984, Sequential Developments of Hanifa
Formation (Upper Jurassic) Paleoenvironments and Paleogeography, Central Saudi Arabia (Abstract), Presented at the First Annual Meeting of SEPM, San Jose, California Aug. 10—13, 1984, p. 57.
15-Moshrif, M.A., 1984, Sequential Development of Hanif a Formation (Upper Jurassic) Paleoenvironrnents and Paleogeography, Central Saudi Arabia, Jour. of Petroleum Geology, Vol. 7, No. 4, p. 45—460.
16-Moshrif, M.A. and Al-Asa’ad, G.A., 1984, Sedimentation and Environmental Interpretation of Hanifa Formation (Upper Jurassic), Central Saudi Arabia, Jour. of Coll, of Sci., King Saud University, Vol. 15, 2, p. 479-505.
17-Siddiqi, G.H., Ahmed, A.E. , Unver, M.B., and Moshrif, M.A.
1986, Effects of Riyadh Sand on Performance of Concrete, Report No. 14/1404, Research Center, College of Engg., King Saud University, 66p.
18-Moshrif, M.A. 1987, Sedimentary History and Paleogeography of Lower and Middle Jurassic Rocks, Central Saudi Arabia, Jour. of Petroleum Geology, Vol. 10, No. 3, p. 335-350.
19-Moshrif, M.A.; Siddiqui, G.H. Ahmed, A.E.; and Unver, M.B. 1987, Geological and Mineralogical study of Riyadh fine Aggregates , (Abstract) Presented at the Symposium of Concrete and Concrete structure in the Middle East, King Saud University Riyadh, April. 25-29,1987, p. 11.
20-Moshrif, M.A., Siddiqi, G.H., Ahmed, A.E., and Unver, M.B.,1988, Geological and Mineralogical Study of Riyadh Fine Aggregates, Proceedings of the Symposium on Concrete and Concrete Structures in the Middle East April 25-29, 1987, King Saud University Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, p. 101-111.
21-Moshrif, M.A., 1989, Fluvial Environment of the Southern Part of Wajid Sandstone (Cambrian-Ordovician) Deduced by Textural Analysis, Iraqi Jour. of Science, Vol. 30, No.1,p. 47—72.
22-Sharief, F.A., and Moshrif, M.A., 1989, Chronostratigraphy and Tectonics of the Sakaka Formation, Northern Arabia, Jour. of Petroleum Geology, Vol. 12 (1), P. 85-102.
23-Moshrif, M.A. and El-Hiti , A . ,1989 , Lithofacies and Petrography of Wajid Sandstone) Cambrian-Ordovicean) Saudi Arabia, Jour. of African Earth Sciences, Vol. 9, No.3/4, p.401-412 .
24-Siddiqi , G.H., Ahmed ,A.E , and Moshrif,M.A., 1991 , Riyadh Sands and Their Effect on Concret Performance, Jour. Of King Saud Univ. (Engg) Vol. 3, (2) .
Refereed Textbooks in Arabic
25- Moshrif , M.A. , 1997 , 2nd edition " Principles of Sedimentology" Published by : University Liberaries , King Saud University, Riyadh , Saudi Arabia ,710 .
26-Moshrif, M.A. and Edris, A.O. , 1990 , '' Illustrated Dictionary of Sedimentary Terms '' , English–Arabic 243p,Arabic–English Glassories , 35p, Published by : University Libraries , King Saud University, Riyadh , Saudi Arabia .
27- Moshrif , Mohamed A . , Edris , Ataher , O. and Awad, Hussein , S. , 2002 , 2nd edition , "Applications in General Geology ,Minerals – Rocks- Fossils-Maps ", Published by: Mars House Publisher , Riyadh , Saudi Arabia , 604 p.
28- Moshrif , M.A ., 1997 , " Essentials of Earth Science – Physical Geology" , Published by: Mars House Publisher , Riyadh , Saudi Arabia , 928p .
Reference Books :
29- Moshrif,M.A . and Almohandis , A.A . , 1983, "Abstracts of the Publications of the Geology Department" , King Saud University ,
1970-1982, (1st Edition), Published by: King Saud University Libraries, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 82p.
30- Moshrif, M.A. and Almohandis , A.A., 1988 , "Abstracts of the Publications of the Geology Department" , King Saud University, 1970-1987, (2nd Edition ) , Published by: University Libraries, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia,139 p.
31- Moshrif , Mohamed A.O. , 1998 , ''Abstracts of the Publications of the Geology Department'' , King Saud University, 1970-1987,
(3rd Edition) , Published by: King Saud University, Academic Publishing press ,English 150p. and Arabic 92p .
32- Moshrif, M.A., (Under preparation), ''Illustrated Geologic Encyclopedia'' , several volumes (?)
a-Within the Geology Department :
1. Chairman of employee committee at the geology department
during 1988/1989 and 1989/1990.
2. Member of plans and higher studies committee in the
Department, 1986/1987, 1987/1988.
3. In 1987, was appointed to represent the Geology Department in the discussion that took place between representative of all concerned departments and the American team came to evaluate and rank of the College of Engineer,King Saud University, and compare it with similar colleges in the U.S.A .
4- Appointed to be the Chairman of Geology Department during summar vacation of 1986/1987.
5. In 1987, was a member of the committee assigned by the geology department to examin and evaluate two research papers and nominate one of them to the college of Science for gaining the university prize for the academic year 1986-1987.
6-Between 1976-1982, was appointed by the Geology Department to be responsible for organizing and supervising the Geology Department Library.
7. Academic Advisor for many Students , during all time he worked in the Geology Department .
8-Supervised Many graduated B.Sc. research projects in geology .
9- Fulfill numerous research papers in his field , published in local , regional and international scientific journals .
10- Participated with his research papers in local and international conferences and symposiums .
11- Edited four textbooks in Arabic , " Principles of Sedimenology" , (1st ed., 1987 and 2nd ed., 1997) " Illustrated Dictionary of Sedimentological terms" ,(1990) , Applications in General Geology ", (1st ed.1993 and 2nd 2002) ,and " Essentials of Earth Science" ,(1997) .
12- Now he is working on his "Illustrated Geologic encyclopedia" .
b. Within the College of Science :
1. In 1989, was appointed a member of committee to study the recommendation that the Kingdom Will organize and host a scientific trip for Arab youth in Asir province, co - ordinated with King Saud University.
2. In 1989, Member of committee for preparing the 5th National plane, (1410-1415 A.H.) belonging to the college of science, King Saud University.
3. In 1987, was appointed a member of the committee assigned
to study the criterion set by the University for gaining the University prize, during the acadamic year 1986-1987.
4. Between 1976-1987, was appointed a member of the College of Science Liberaries Committee.
5. Member of the research centre board, College of Science, academic years 1984-86 .
6. Member of the editorial board of the Journal of the College of Science, academic years 1985-1993 .
7. Member of the College of Science Board, for academic years 1977-1979 and 1985/1986 .
8. In 1980, was appointed by the College of Science, a member of committee assingned to examin practioner empolyees at the College of Science for promotion .
c.Within King Saud University :
1. In 1988, member of the committee to study the cases of scholership students who stayed abroad beyoned the given years of study.
2. In 1982, was appointed a member of the national committee assigned to discuss the subject of " Desertification" with the Chinese Committee, which was envited by King Saud University and City of King Abdul Aziz for Science and Technology ( Previously Named: Saudi Arabia National Centre for Sci. and Technology, SANCST ) .
d.Outside the University but Within the Kingdom
1. Chairman of Scientific session (2B)" Geology of The Arabian
Shielf "at the First Saudi Symposium on Earth Sciences, King Abdulaziz Univesity , Jeddah 28-30/1/1989.
2. Between 1988-1990, was a part time consultant at Ministry of Planning participate in the preparation of the National 5th Plane (1410-1415 A.H. ) Sections - Minerals, Oil and Waters.
3- In, 1986, was an external examiner for M.Sc. Degrees in petroleum Geology Submitted in Petroleum Geology at King Abdul-Aziz University, College of Earth Sciences, Petroleum Department.
4. In 1984, was appointed by Ministry of Education to review books in geology assigned for second and third years high school students and teachers.
5. In 1984, was appointed as a member of committed formed to make scientific and technologic plane for City of King Abdul-Aziz for Science and Technology. (Previously named Saudi Arabia National Centre for Science and Technology, SANCST
6. Between 1982-1985, was appointed as consultant at Directorate of Scientific Research, City of King Abdul-Aziz for Science and Technology ( Previously named SANCST ) participated in preparation of the National 4th Plane belong to SANCST .
7. In 1982, was appointed as a member of the consulate committee assigned to evaluate technical reports on applied researchs submitted to be funded by the City of King Abdul- Aziz for Science and Technology ( Previously named SANCST).
8. In 1982, was assigned to form a plane and a scheme of evaluating technical reports in applied researchs, funded by the City of King Abdul-Aziz for Science and Technology ( Previously named SANCST).
9. In 1981, was appointed to prepare a survey and a comprehensive data studies on establishing training centres for energy planning in coutries of the Middle East, supported by UNDP, report was submitted to United Nation, Department of Energy, also a copy was given to Saudi Arabia National Centre for Science and Technology, ( SANCST ).
10- In 1981, was appointed as a member of the committee assigned to go to South Korea to investigate and hence to prepare a future plane in Science and Technology for the Saudi Arabia National Centre for Science and Technology .( Now named : City of King Abdul- Aziz for Science and Technology).
11. Between 1979-1982, was Chairman of Working Group of applied earth resources at the Saudi Arabia National Centre for Science and Technology ( Now named: City of King Abdul- Aziz for Science and Technology).
12. Between 1980-1985 , has been chosen to review and evaluate and follow up numerous applied researchs funded by the City of King Abdul-Aziz for Science and Technology .
13 Between 1980-2003 , has reviewed and evaluated several research papers which are now published in local scientific journals .
14- Reviewed and evaluated and examined numerous M.Sc.PH.D Thesises in Arabic Universities
15- 1996 editorial member of the editing board of the "international Arabic encyclopedia" ,( the translation of "World Book En cyclopedia), 30 volumes .
16-Reviewed transilated book into Arabic , " Petrology of Sedimentary Rocks" ( Robert L.Folk) , translated by Ahmed A.Al-aswad , Published by: academic publishing press, King Saud University, pp.417.
17- Reviewed translated book into Arabic "Field Description of Sedimentary Rocks", (Morris Tucker), translated by : Mohamed H.Basyoni & Ahmed M.Mursi , Published by : academic publishing center, King Abdul – Aziz University , pp.236.
18- Reviewed translated book into Arabic "Geomorphological Dimensions of land development in deserts –with special reference to Saudi Arabia " R.U.Cooke, D. Brunsden , J.C. Doornkamp and D.K.C.Jones, Translated by : Abdullah N.Alwelaie , Published by : the Saudi Geographical Society, 1994 , King Saud University , Riyadh, Saudi Arabia .
19- reviewed "Inclusive Geologic Dictionary", English- Arabic and Arabic –English , Published by : King Abdul – Aziz univ., Jeddah , Saudi Arabia .
e. Out side the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia :
1. Evaluated and reviewed numerous research papers submitted by faculty staff for promotion to Associate professor and professor , Universities of Iraq, Emerat, Jordon , and Qatar .
2. Was chosen by the editorial board of the Iraq Journal of Science to be a consultant, a referee and a reviewer for the geologic papers submitted for publication in the journal.
3- reviewed and evaluated numerous research papers published in regional and international scientific journals .
4- reviewed and evaluated several tranlated into Arabic university textbooks ,published by different sectors .
Honours & Awards:
Has gained the science prize of the" 14th Arabic book exhibition for the year 1988 " given by Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences, on his arabic textbook" Principles of Sedimentology".
Local and International Conferences Particidation and Attended:
1. Was chairman of oral session (IIb) " Geology of the Arabian . Shelf " at the First Saudi Symposium on Earth Sciences, held at King Abdulaziz University, Faculty of Earth Sciences, 28-30 January, 1989, Jeddah, Saudi Aabia.
2. Speaker at Symposium on " Concrete and Concrete Structures in the Middle East" , King Saud University, April 25-29, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia .
3. Attended the 12th International Sedimentological Congress, 24-30 Aug. 1986, Canberra, Australia.
4. Speaker at the First S.E.P.M. Annual Midyear Meeting, 10-13 Aug. 1984, San Jose, California, U.S.A.
5. Co-auther of paper presented at the First Jordanian Geological
Conference ,6-8 Sept. 1982, Amman, Jordan.
6. Speaker at the 11th International Sedimentological Congress, 22-27 Aug. 1982, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
7. Attended the 26th International Geological Congress, 7-1 July, 1980, Paris, France.
8. Speaker at the Annual Meeting of the AAPG/SEPM/EMD Convention, 8-11 June, 1980, Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
Memberships of International Geological Societies :
1. Member of International Association of Sedimentologists Since, 1982.
2. Active member of American Association of Petroleum Geologists since, 1980.
3. Member of Society of Economic, Paleontologists and Mineralogists, since, 1976.
During his academic years at the Geology Department has taught the following courses :-
101 Geo Physical Geology
104 Geo Introductory Geology (for petroleum engeering students ,..) .
231 Geo Introduction to Sedimentology
233 Geo Introduction to Sedimentology and Stratigraphy.
234 Geo Introduction to sedimentology and Stratigraphy, (for petroleum engeering students ,..) .
333 Geo Sedimentary Rocks
390 Geo Field Geology (For 6-summer terms) ,
492 Geo Seminar in Geology .
499 Geo Research .
499 Geo Research Project .
533 Geo advanced Sedimentary Rocks