NAME: Adel Saeed Bashatah
ADDRESS: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Phone (Cell): +966-505-473-496
- Experienced in nursing educating, supported by 4 years in research designing and evaluation at King AbdulAziz City for Science and Technology, Riyadh Saudi Arabia
- Familiar with most educational theories such as bloom's taxonomy, Erickson, and others, in addition to familiarity with the three learning domains cognitive, affective, and psychomotor
- Experienced in curriculum design and evaluation for adult education using the three learning domains supported by assessment tool design, testing and evaluation methodologies summative and formative.
- Talented as educator for undergraduate and graduate students supported by my academic background at George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, USA
- PhD in Nursing, May 2007, College of Health and Human Services, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, USA
- Certificate in Nursing Education, January. 2003, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, USA.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, December. 2002, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, USA.
- Master of Science, June 2000, Department of Molecular Genetics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- Bachelor of Science, Summer 1993, Department of Zoology, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Assistant Professor, Aug. 2009 to current, College of Nursing, King Saud University (Vice Dean for Quality & Development)
- Head of Saudization Nursing Program, October 2008 to present, Academic & Training Affairs, King Fahad Medical City
- Senior Nurse Specialist, October 2007 to October 2008, Academic & Training Affairs, King Fahd Medical City
- Research Assistant, January- May 2005, College of Health and Human Services, George Mason University
- Specialist Researcher, 2000-2001, King Abdulaziz City for Science & Technology (KACST), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Researcher, 1994-1997, (KACST), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Jean Burley Moore, Lisa Pawloski, Heibatollah Baghi, Karen Whitt, Claudia Rodriguez, Laura Lumbi and Adel Bashatah (2005). Development and examination of psychometric properties of Self-Care instructions to measure nutrition practices for English and Spanish speaking adolescents. The official journal of the International Orem Society, 13(1), 9-16.
- Veronica D. Feeg, PhD Adel Bashatah, MS. & Christena Langley, PhD (2005). Development and Testing of a CD-ROM Based Tutorial for Student Nurses: Getting Ready for HIPAA. Journal of Nursing Education, 44(8),381-386.
- Bashatah, Adel (2006). Mandatory Premarital Genetic Testing in Saudi Arabia: Policy Analysis and Potential Ethical Issues Risks. Podium presentation at International Society of Nurses in Genetics, Oct. 7-10 New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Bashatah, Adel (2006). Assessment of Nurses’ and Physicians’ Perceptions Toward General and Genetic Ethical Issues in Clinical Practice in Saudi Arabia: A Preliminary Study. Poster presentation at International Society of Nurses in Genetics, Oct. 7-10 New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Adel Bashatah and Amin Al Madani (2005). Special Educational Program for Saudi nurses to Manage Chronic Diseases. Presentation at “Education-the Route to Transforming Nursing in Saudi Arabia”. Conference at King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, May 18 & 19 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Amin Al Madani and Adel Bashatah (2005). Oncology Nursing and Genetics in Retinoblastoma: Nursing Care and Responsibilities to Enhance Patient and Family Decision Making. CNAMS First International Nursing Conference. National Guard Health Affairs-King AbduAziz Medical City, December. 6- 8 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Jean B. Moore, Lisa Pawloski, Heibatollah Baghi, Karen Whitt, and Adel Bashatah (2005). Development and Testing of Instruments to Measure Nutrition Self-Care Behavior. Poster presentation at George Mason University, Research Day, April 17, Fairfax, Virginia, USA.
- Bashatah, Adel. & Huddleston, Kathi (2004). Public Health Nursing and the Growing Expectations of the Role of Genetic Nursing. Poster presentation at American Public Health Association, November 6-10 Washington DC, USA
- Preceptorship (Telemetry Unite, Critical Care) at Fairfax Hospital, October 2002- May 2003.
- Clinical Rotation (OBGYN/ Pediatric) at Fairfax Hospital, January- April 2002.
- Clinical Rotation (Surgical Unite) at Fairfax Hospital, August- October 2001.
- Clinical Rotation (The Fairfax Mental Health Hospital) October- December 2001.
I. Curriculum Activities
- Course Designer:
o I took an opportunity to design a graduate genetic course “Introduction to Clinical Genetics in Healthcare” that was approved from the George Mason University’s council as an elective course, April 2005. (see a copy of the course content)
- Curriculum Evaluator:
o I spent one month at Training and development Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center to evaluate some exciting health program such as Cardiovascular Technology (CVT). Also I had a chance to review a current courses content of some courses such as Medical Terminology course. A written report with recommendations was given to the Director of the department.
II. Teaching Activities
- Clinical Instructor: as a part time job at college of Nursing, King Saud University teaching the following courses
o Medical Surgical
o Nursing Fundamentals
o Nursing Concepts
o Health Assessment
- Nursing Instructor: as a part time job at Technical Health Institute at Riyadh to teaching the following courses
o Anatomy & Physiology
o Communication Skills
o Community Health
- Guest Speaker
o I lectured about Clinical Genetics applications related to healthcare professionals at College of Health and Human Services, George Mason University. October 2003 and October 2004.
III. Research Activities
- Participated in some of Research activities in Saudi Arabia and USA in the following:
o Research Designs experimental and non-experimental including qualitative and quantitative
o Data entry and analysis using the SPSS program.
o Manuscript writing in the filed of nursing and health science.
I. King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology (KACST)
- Technical and financial follow up of funded research projects submitted to KACST
- Prepare and finalize the process for every year announced annual research priorities.
- Coordinate the work of the Medical Sciences Group that review the medical research submitted for grants
- Prepare one day conferences and related research day at KACST in the area of science and medical sciences.
II. George Mason University
- Worked at the Dean's office in two main tasks
o Participate in the Health Committee meetings that deal with health issues and related problems on and off campus.
o Follow up and finalize the process of the Annual Meeting for Gerontological Society of America GSA (2005), Clinical Medicine Section. The duties were the following:
§ Arrange meetings, posters, presentations and discussion panels
§ Review and evaluate some abstracts in my interest area
§ Communicate with all participants and researchers in the meetings
- Participated in the preparations of some academic activities such as research days and conferences sponsored by the College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Bioethics Institute and Internship. An applied intensive course that analyzed and explored ethical and legal considerations in science and health fields. George Mason University & Georgetown University. July-August, 2004
- The Science Symposium. Linking the Double Helix with Health: Genetics in Nursing Research. Georgetown University, School of Nursing and Health Studies, April 13, 2003, Washington D.C. USA.
- Gateway Cloning & Expression, a hand on experience in a new cloning kit. Life Technology, June 5-9, 2000, Maryland, USA.
- Cytogenetics lab experience, a hand-on experience in Karotype techniques, G Band, C Band, and FISH probe. King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Center (KFSHRC), June, 1995 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Introduction to the Molecular Biology, five days intensive lectures related to Molecular Biology. King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Center (KFSHRC), 2001 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Dr. Shirley Travis RN, PhD
Dean, College of Health and Human Services
George Mason University, USA
Dr. P.J. Maddox, RN, PhD
Institute of Health Policy and Ethics
George Mason University, USA
Dr. Richard Liboviz, JD, PhD
Faculty Advisor and Director for Summer Institute of Bioethics
George Mason University, USA
Dr. Mohammed Al naïf
Dean, College of Nursing
King Saud University