Course Symbol & No.: BCH 221 Section: 1867
Course Title: General Enzymology Credit Hours: (2+2)
Class Schedule: Tuesday, 11 am to 3 pm
Class location: Bld. 8, second floor, lab no.
1- Each week have quiz for previous lab
Evaluation: 30 marks divided as follow:
v 5 marks on the reports (each student is required to do a report after each lab)
v 7 marks for each quiz, a quiz is held after each lab, then the average of all lab quizes is calculated out of 7.
v final exam.
1- 10 marks for practical’s
2- 8 marks for writing exam
Breif Description:BCH 221 General Enzymology.
Enzymology lab is designed to give students an understanding of enzymology in general including study different method of enzyme assay and enzyme kinetics .The effect of different of parameters such as concentrations of substrate and enzyme, pH, temperature and inhibitors on enzyme activity.
1. Introduction enzymology
2. Some factors affecting polyphenol oxidase activity (introduction to enzymology).
3. Method of enzyme assay
v End point assay: Alanine transaminase (colorimetric\ endpoint assay
v Continuous assay: Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase ( UV/ kinetics
4. The effect of incubation time on the rate of an enzyme catalyzed reaction.
5. The effects of enzyme concentration on the rate of an enzyme catalyzed reaction.
6. The effects of temperature on the rate of an enzyme catalyzed reaction.
7. The effects of substrate concentration on the rate of an enzyme catalyzed reaction.
8. The inhibition of acid phosphatase by tris.
9. The effects of pH on the rate of an enzyme catalyzed reaction.
Lab coat and gloves are always important in the lab.