MED 341 Course: 10 Credit hours.
It is the first clinical course for the medical students. It teaches the third year medical students and consists of a theoretical part (lectures) and clinical part (bedside teaching).
Objectives: - History taking
- Learning the technique of how do physical exam
- To know the physical sings of patient.
TEACHING PART OF THE COURSE:
THEORETICAL PART: There are three lectures per week covering all the general medicine aspect such as cardiology, rheumatology, pulmonology, endocrinology, nephrology, gastroenterology, hematology/oncology, infectious diseases and neurology given over 84 lectures during 28 weeks.
CLINICAL BEDSIDE TEACHING: There are two clinical sessions per week.
The teaching consists mainly of - History taking
- Basic technique of different system examinations
- Definition and identification of physical sings.
Assessment of the students:
All students will be assessed by two examiners by Continuous assessment exam (40%) and Final exam (60%).
- At the end of the first half of the course students will be evaluated by CONTINUOUS ASSESSMENT
EXAM Consists of Written Exam (20%) and Clinical – Long Case Exam (20%).
- After 28 weeks of teaching all students will be assessed again by the FINAL EXAMINATION,consists of written exam (30%) and clinical – long case exam (30%).
o Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th Edition (Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (Single Vol.)) by Anthony S. Fauci, Eugene Braunwald, Dennis L. Kasper, and Stephen L. Hauser (2008)
o Kumar and Clark Clinical Medicine by Parveen Kumar and Michael Clark (2005).
o Davidson's Principles and Practice of Medicine: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access by Nicholas A. Boon, Nicki R. Colledge, Brian R. Walker, and John A. A. Hunter
o Clinical Examination: A Systematic Guide to Physical Diagnosis (Paperback) by Nicholas J. Talley (Author), Simon O'Connor (Author).
· Physical Exam Study Guides: http://medinfo.ufl.edu/year1/bcs/clist/
· Clinical Skills Online (CSO): http://www.youtube.com/sgulcso
· Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology, 5th Edition