Curriculum vitae of:
ABDULAZIZ HAMAD ALZEER, MBBS, FRCP©, FCCP
Associate Professor of Medicine, Dept. of Medicine
Consultant, Pulmonary Division, Dept. of Medicine
Head, Critical Care Unit, Dept. of Medicine
King Khalid University Hospital, P.O. Box 18321
Riyadh 11415, Saudi Arabia
(966) (01) 4671521 (secretary)
(966) (01) 4672698 (direct line)
(966) (01) 0504410525
June 1980 MBBS – King Saud University
College of Medicine, Riyadh
September 1983 Canadian Evaluation Examination
September 1987 American Board of Internal Medicine
June 1988 Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Certification in Internal Medicine
June 1990 Medical Licensure Exam of Canada
November 1990 Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Certification in Respiratory Medicine
November1994 American Board Certification in Pulmonary Medicine
November1995 American Board Certification in Critical Care Medicine
2006 until date Board Member of Saudi Critical Care Society
2004 until date Member of Saudi Thoracic Society
June 1994 Member of the American Critical Care Society
December 1988 Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada,
November1993 Fellow of American College of Chest Physicians, FCCP
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES AND TRAININGS:
At present Chairman Critical Care, King Khalid University Hospital. Riyadh.
Involved in establishing the new 63 ICU Beds at King Khalid University
Hospital, (to open on Feb 2009),
2004-2006 Chairman, Department of Critical Care, Pulmonary and Respiratory Care
King Fahad Medical City, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2004-2006 Set up, organized and established the Department of Critical Care, Pulmonary and Respiratory Care at King Fahad Medical City in Riyadh (24- bed ICU with state of the art equipments), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
1998-2004 Chairman and Founder of Critical Care Annual Research Day for all ICU Physicians in Riyadh
1996-2001 Chairman and founder of Riyadh Critical Care Club Monthly Meeting for all ICUs in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
December 1998 Clinical Instructor and member of the organizing committee of the 1st FCCS Course in the Middle East, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
July 1998 Associate Professor of Medicine, Consultant Pulmonary and Critical Care,
King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Sept 1994 Medical Director of Medical Intensive Care Unit, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
March 1992 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Consultant Pulmonary and Critical Care and Associate Director of Medical Intensive Care Unit at King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Jul '90- Feb '92 Critical Care Fellow, University of Toronto, Toronto General, Western and
Sunny broke Hospitals, Canada
Jan '90- Jun '90 Research Fellow at Vancouver General Hospital, Canada
Jul '88- Dec '90 Pulmonary Fellow at University of British Columbia, Canada
Pulmonary Fellowship Program
Jul '84-Jun '88 Resident in General Medicine at Internal Medicine Program
University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jul '81-Jun '84 Resident in General Medicine at King Khalid University
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Jul '80- Jun'81 Post-Graduate Internship, King Saud University Affiliated Hospitals, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
1. Alzeer AH, FitzGerald JM. Corticosteroids and tuberculosis: risks and use as adjunct therapy. Tubercle and Lung Disease (1993), 74 (1), 6-11.
2. Al-Majed SA, Al-Momen AK, Al-Kassimi FA, Alzeer A, Kambal AM. Baagil H. Tuberculosis presenting as immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Acta Haematol 1995; 94: 135-138.
3. Crofts SL, Alzeer A, McGuire GP, Wong DT, Charles D. A comparison of percutaneous and operative tracheostomies in intensive care patients. Canadian J of Anaesthesia, 1995; 42 (9): 775-9.
4. Mobeireek A, Al-Hamad A, Al-Subaei A, Alzeer A. Psychogenic vocal cord dysfunction simulating bronchial asthma. European Respiratory J, 1995; 8 (11): 1978-1981.
5. Alzeer A, Al-Arifi A, El-Hazmi M, Warsy AS, and Nylen ES. Thermal regulatory dysfunction of growth hormone in classical heat stroke. European J of Endocrinology, 1996; 134(6): 727-30.
6. Ashour M, Al-Kattan KM, Jain SK, Al-Majed S, Al-Kassimi F, Mobeireek A, Al-Hajjaj M, Alzeer A. Surgery for unilateral bronchiectasis: results and prognostic factors. Tubercle and lung disease (1996); 77, 168-172.
7. Fayed DF, Dahmash NS, Alzeer AH, Shibl AM, Huraib SO, Abu-Aisha H. Efficacy and safety of once-daily amikacin in combination with Ceftazidime in critically ill adults with severe gram-negative infections. J of Chemotherapy 1996; 8: 6, 457-464.
8. Arora SC, Al-Tahan AR, Alzeer A, Al-Tahan F, Onuora OZO C, Ur-Rahman N. Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis presenting as acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: A case report. J of Neurological Sciences 146 (1997) 13-18.
9. Al-Majed SA, Ashour M, Al-Mobeireek AF, Al-Hajjaj MS, Alzeer AH, Al-Kattan K. Overlooked inhaled foreign bodies: late sequelae and the likelihood of recovery. Respiratory Medicine (1997) 91; 293-296.
10. Al-Tahan A, Arora S, Alzeer A, Al-Tahan F, Malabarey T, Daif A. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: the importance of early magnetic resonance imaging. European J of Neurology (1997), 4, 52-58.
11. Kambal AM, Arora SC, Alzeer A, Babay HH. Flavobacterium meningosepticum in intensive care units of a teaching hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Annals of Saudi Medicine, (1997), 17, 2, 240-246.
12. Hashim IA, Alzeer A, Al-Shohaib S, Al-Awal M, Shenkin A. Cytokine changes in patients with heatstroke during pilgrimage to Makkah. Mediators of Inflammation, (1997) 6: 135-139.
13. Alzeer AH, El-Hazmi MA, Warsy AS, Ansari ZA, Yrkendi MS. Serum enzymes in heat stroke: Prognostic implication. Clinical Chemistry (1997); 43: 7, 1182-1187.
14. Nylen ES, Al-Arifi A, Becker KL, Snider RH, Alzeer A. Effect of classic heat stroke on serum procalcitonin. Crit Care Medicine (1997); 25: 8; 1362-1365.
15. Alzeer AH, Mashlah A, Fakim N, Al-Sugair N, Al-Hedaithy M, Al-Majed S, Jamjoom G. Tuberculosis is the commonest cause of pneumonia requiring hospitalization during Hajj (Pilgrimage to Makkah). Journal of Infection (1998), 36: 3003-306.
16. Alzeer A, Arora S, Ansari Z, Fayed DF, Naguib M. Central venous pressure from common iliac vein reflects right atrial pressure. Can J Anaesth 1998; 45 (8): 798-801.
17. Alzeer A, Ansari Z, Arora S, Mobeireek A. Response to ketamine in severe bronchial asthma not responding to conventional treatment. Emirates Medical Journal (1998), 16 (1): 41-42.
18. Alzeer AH, Al-Arifi A, Warsy AS, Ansari Z, Zhang H, Vincent JL. Nitric oxide production is enhanced in patients with heat stroke. Intensive Care Med (1999), 25(1): 58-62.
19. Al-Hajjaj MS, Al-Kassimi FA, Mobeireek AF, Alzeer AH. Progressive Rise of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Resistance to Rifampicin and Streptomycin in the Riyadh Region, Saudi Arabia. Respirology 2001, 6 (4): 317-22.
20. Qari M, Abdel-Razeq H, Alzeer A, Alizadeh H, Kristensen J, Al-Sayegh F, Qutub H, Marashi M, Husted S, Mousa S. Recent advances in the diagnosis and treatment of deep vein thrombosis: a regional consensus. Curr Opin Investig Drugs 2003, 4(3): 309-15.
21. Alzeer AH, Al-Arfaj A, Basha SJ, Alballa S, Al-Wakeel J, Al-Arfaj H, Al-Sugair S, Al-Shammari M, Bamboye EA. Outcome of patients with systemic lupus erythematosis in Intensive Care Unit. Lupus 2004; 13 (7): 537-42.
22. Abdel Razeq H, Qari N, Kristensen H, Alizeidah H, Al-Sayegh F, Marashi M, Alzeer A, Al-Amoudi O, Qutub H, Al-Humiadi AA, Husted S, Mousa SA; GCC Thrombosis Study Group. Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Methods Mol Med 2004; 93:267-92.
23. Alzeer A, BaHammam A, Masood M,Basha SJ, Alhamad E, Sohail S. Outcome of patients with severe asthma in the intensive care unit. Ann Saudi Med 2006; 26(6): 461-5.
24. Alzeer AH, Al-Otair H, Al-Hajjaj M. Yield and complications of flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy in a teaching hospital. Saudi Medical Journal 2008 Jan;29(1):55-9
25. Alzeer AH, Al-Mobeireek A, Al-Otair H, Shaikh AS. Left and right ventricular function and pulmonary hypertension in patients with bronchiectasis. Chest 2008; 133/2: 468-73
26. Alzeer AH, Masood M, Basha S, Shaffi AS. Survival of bronchiectatic patients with respiratory failure in ICU. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 2007,7;17
27. Alzeer AH, Al-Otair H, Masood M, et al. Acute hypoxemia and right ventricular compression by a mediastinal mass. Internet journal of Anesthesia.2007.
28. Alzeer AH. HRCT Score in Bronchiectasis: Correlation with Pulmonary Function Tests
and Pulmonary Artery Pressure. Annal Thoracic Medicine. Vol 3; Issue 3. 2008
29 . Alzeer AH. Cardiac complications in patients with systemic lupus. erythematosis
admitted to ICU. Journal of the Saudi Heart Association, 2008
30. Alzeer AH. Vasogenic oedema in-patient with sickle cell disease (under review)
31 . Alzeer AH. Sweat Chloride In patients with Heat Stroke. (under review)
32. Alzeer AH, Masood M, Hakeem S, Kambala .Ventilator Associated Pneumonia in A
University Hospital. (under review)
ABSTRACTS IN PROCEEDINGS and CONFERENCES:
1. Alzeer AH. Acute respiratory failure of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). King Fahad Hufof Hospital; 9 February 1993.
2. Alzeer AH. Nocturnal asthma. Presented on the symposium on update on diagnosis and management of respiratory allergic diseases. Organized by MOH Taif, 10 April 1993.
3. Alzeer AH. Septic shock. Presented in the national conference on diseases of the chest. Organized by the MOH, Taif, 4th April 1994.
4. Alzeer AH. Heat stroke (pathophysiology). Presented on symposium on emergency and disaster during pilgrimage season. Organized by MOH, Makkah, 16th April 1995.
5. Alzeer AH. Pneumonia during Hajj (Pilgrimage to Makkah). Presented on symposium on emergency and disaster during pilgrimage season. Organized by MOH in Makkah, 16th April 1995.
6. Alzeer AH. Parapneumonic pleural effusions: to drain or not to drain. Presented in the recent advances in pulmonary and critical care medicine symposium. King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 9-11 April 1996.
7. Alzeer AH. ICU in the future. Presented in the 1st Pan Arab Conference in Intensive Care, Taif, Saudi Arabia, October 2005.
8. Alzeer AH. Update in community acquired pneumonia. Medicine up-date, KKUH, March 2005.
9. Alzeer AH. Recent advances in bronchiectasis. Medicine up-date, KKUH, March 2007.
10. Alzeer AH. Right and Left ventricular Function and Pulmonary Artery pressure in
patients with Bronchiectasis. The 19 Annual Meeting of the Saudi Heart Association,
11. Alzeer A, Hashim IA, Shaheen M, Al-Shohaib S, Sheukin. Inter Leukin-1 Receptor
Antagonists (IL-1ra) in heat stroke patients during pilgrimage to Makkah, 15th International
Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Brussels, International Journal of Critical Care Medicine Supply 1995; 6: 2; 75.
12. Alzeer A, Al-Arifi A, Ansari Z, Hashim I, Nylen E and Becker K. Circulating interleukin-6, Tumour necrosis factor soluble receptor – II, Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist, and serum procalcitonin in patients with heat stroke: prognostic implications. 16th International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, Brussels. Intensive Care Medicine Supplement 1; 1996; 22; S11.
13. Al-Arifi A, Alzeer A, Becker K, Snider R, Thompson K, Nylen E. Heat stroke and
hyperprocalcitoninemia: diagnostic and prognostic implications. Society of Crit Car Med, J an 1996, A54 #44.
14. Al-Arifi A, Alzeer A, El-Hazmi M, Warsy AS and Nylen ES. The prognostic implications of Glucagon pertubation in Heat Stroke. 10th International Congress of Endocrinology. June 12, 1996: 340 #P1-823.
15. Alzeer AH. Heat stroke-pathophysiology. Presented in the 1st Omani International
Conference on Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. Muscat, Sultanate of Oman. 23-25 April 1996.
16. Alzeer AH. Vincent J, Nylen ES, Al-Arifi A. Excess Nitric Oxide in Classical Heat Stroke: 79th Annual meeting of the endocrine Society, San Francisco; June 11, 1997; 503 #P3-268.
17. Alzeer AH. Update in Treatment of Acute Pulmonary Embolism. Pan Arab Thoracic Society Annual Meeting.Cairo, Egypt November 1999.
18. Alzeer AH.Ventilatory Management of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Pan Arab Thoracic Society Annual Meeting, Amman Jordon, November 2000.
19. Alzeer AH. Central venous pressure from common iliac vein reflects right atrial
pressure. Pan Arab Thoracic Society Annual Meeting ,Amman Jordon, November 2000.
20. Alzeer AH. Pneumonia during Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah).Pan Arab Thoracic Society
Annual Meeting, Dubai 2001.
21. Alzeer AH, Masood M, Basha SJ, Shaik S. Survival of patients with bronchiectasis in
intensive care unit. Intensive Care Med 2005, Sept. 25-28: Amsterdam,
22. Alzeer AH, Al-Arfaj A. Outcome of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus in
intensive care unit. Critical Care 2005, March 21-25: Brussels, Belgium.
23. Alzeer AH. Cardiac function in patients with bronchiectasis. Chest 2006, October
21-26: Salt Lake City, Utah.
24. Alzeer AH. Review of different modes of mechanical ventilation. GE conference
in Bahrain, February 2005.
REVIEWER FOR MEDICAL JOURNALS
1. Annals of Saudi Medicine (King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center)
2. Saudi Medical Journal (Riyadh Armed Forces Hospital)
3. Respirology (official journal of APSR)