MED 441 COURSE: 11 Credit hours
It is the clinical course for the final year medical students. It is a full time clinical clerkship for 12 weeks.
Objectives: - To train students how to perform a clinical examination by practical demonstration of how to obtain a
medical history and perform a complete physical examination
- To teach students how to synthesize the information obtained from history and physical examination to make logical conclusions with respect of making a diagnosis or a differential diagnosis.- To know the physical sings of patient.
- To teach students how to confirm diagnosis by selecting the most appropriate, safe and cost-effective investigations and make a treatment plan.
- To train students how to adapt their medical knowledge to the problems of the community and how to utilize the available resources for that purpose.
- On successful completion of this course, the student is expected to be ready to function as a competent intern
TEACHING PART OF THE COURSE:
- Students will be attached to the consultant and his team for two months
- Teaching rounds on patients
- Students are required to attend clinics with the consultant
- Students are required to follow patients' assigned to them (Daily clerking and follow up of assigned patients)
- Students are required to attend departmental and unit academic and teaching activities .
Assessment of the students:
All students will be assessed by two examiners by Continuous assessment exam (written and Clinical) 40%, and Final exam (written and clinical including OSCE) 60%.
o Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th Edition (Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (Single Vol.)) by Anthony S. Fauci, Eugene Braunwald, Dennis L. Kasper, and Stephen L. Hauser (2008)
o Kumar and Clark Clinical Medicine by Parveen Kumar and Michael Clark (2005).
o Davidson's Principles and Practice of Medicine: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access by Nicholas A. Boon, Nicki R. Colledge, Brian R. Walker, and John A. A. Hunter
· Clinical Examination: A Systematic Guide to Physical Diagnosis (Paperback) by Nicholas J. Talley (Author), Simon O'Connor (Author).
· Physical Exam Study Guides: http://medinfo.ufl.edu/year1/bcs/clist/
· Clinical Skills Online (CSO): http://www.youtube.com/sgulcso
· Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology, 5th Edition