Department of optometry
College of applied medical sciences
King Saud University
This is a guide for you to do your daily clinical works in the internship or in your future work faster easer & more accurate.
1. Check your room before starting your clinic in the morning (Retinoscope
+ project + remote + phoropter + lenses + reading chart +occluder + lensometer)
2. Read the file quickly special (previous visit = last correction + last VA)
3. Start with (C\C + OH + S\P + MH) write with short & accurate sentence don't spend a lot of time with the pt (some pt. will give you a long story).
4. Take the VA start one line before the last VA. DON'T forget PH
5. If the pt wearing glasses or CL take the VA with correction
6. Start your objective refraction. Take the VA DON’T force the pt because you will do subjective later.
7. Start your subjective as usual (sphere then cylinder axis then power) if the pt old use (0.50 DS to 1.00 DS) in your subjective because the old pt can't differ between the small power.
8. When you do JCC try to make the time equal between side 1 & side 2.
9. DON’T forget to do balance test (fogging or red green test).
10. If the pt presbyopic, DON’T forget to do near balance test before give him final Rx.
Pt = Patient
C\C = Chief Complain
O\H = Ocular History
S\P = Status Post
M\H = Medical History
Sx = Surgery
Cat. = Cataract
Phaco c PC IOL= Phacoemulsification with Posterior Chamber Intraocular Lens
ECCE = Extra Capsular Cataract Extraction.
A\S= Anterior Segment
R\V= Retinal Vitreous
QHS= Before sleeping
gtt = Drops (guttae)
QD= Once a day
BID= Twice a day
TID= 3 Times a day
QID= 4 Times a day
QOD= Every other day
PO= By mouth