Course number & Code: Najd 128
Course title: Writing I (Level One) Contact hours: 4
Textbook: INTERACTIONS 1, WRITING/ 4th edition
Chapters to be covered: 8 to 10
Content and Objectives
Writing I is a pre-intermediate course designed to introduce students to paragraph structure and organization, i.e., topic sentence, supporting details, and concluding sentence. It is also designed to teach students to write cohesive and coherent paragraphs on specific topics, using language appropriate to each topic. The paragraphs are of the following types: descriptive, narrative, expository, classificatory, and instructional. Students are also trained to write personal, informal letters and business letters. In addition, the course introduces/reviews features of grammar, style and cohesion, which serve to unify a paragraph.
Skills and strategies
Writing an idea map
Selecting relevant ideas
Writing an outline
Editing for organization
Editing for form
Sub-skills and strategies
1.The construction of the simple sentence.
2.The construction of complex sentences
3.The construction of compound sentences.
4.The avoidance of sentence fragments.
5.The avoidance of sentences run-ons.
6. The formation of questions.
7. The appropriate usage of the conjunctions and, so, but, and also…
8. Developing the reader’s interest by introducing relevant and significant details.
9. Appropriate use of articles.
10.Use of count and non-count nouns.
11. Avoidance of noun repetition.
12. Use of appropriate and correct verb forms.
13. Appropriate use of transitional words and phrases.
14. Ordering information.
15. Appropriate use of topic sentences.
16. Appropriate use of concluding sentences.
17. Developing cohesion.
18. Developing coherence.