Course Description :
Course No. Chordates 224 (Practical)
Course Name : Practical Chordates For Lab Technicians
This course is to be taught in the third semester along with the course Chordate 220. It is a two-hour class per a week. During the course, students will be able to: vivisect animals belonging to different classes of Chordates, study their biological systems, watch samples of these systems in the human body and observe the development of the germinal shape in a frog in addition to studying some examples of adaptations in animals.
A. Course Distribution
· 1st Lecture :
- Blanoglosus , Ascidia , Amphioxus: T.S. of pharynx and tail region.
· 2nd Lecture :
- Petromyzon Fluviatilis (Lamprey): T.S. of gills, trunk and caudal regions.
· 3rd Lecture :
- Observing Scyllium (Dogfish): Distinguishing male from female and recognizing new kinds of fins and gill-slits.
- Observing some kinds of Osteichthyes and recognizing their figures.
- Vivisecting a Tilapia Nilotica (Bolti fish): Studying digestive system, urinogenital system, gills and gas/air bladder.
· 4th Lecture:
- Observing and recognizing Salamander
- Studying the external figure of a frog
- Vivisecting a frog: studying digestive system, urniogenital system, respiratory system and circulatory system.
· 5th Lecture:
- Observing and recognizing samples of reptiles such as: Scincus scincus (Sandfish), Chameleon, Lizards, Trapelus Savignii, Uromastyx, Varanus Griseus, Snakes and Turtle.
· 6th Lecture:
- Studying the external features of an Uromastyx.
- Vivisecting an Uromastyx: recognizing the digestive system, respiratory system, circulatory system and the urniogenital system.
· 7th Lecture:
- Observing and recognizing some kinds of birds.
- Studying the external features of a Domestic Pigeon (Columba Livia Domestica).
- Vivisecting a Domestic Pigeon (Columba Livia Domestica): Studying the respiratory system, digestive system, circulatory system, urniogenital system and air sacs.
· 8th Lecture:
- Studying the external features of the rabbit (Oryctolagus Cuniculus).
- Vivisecting the rabbit (Oryctolagus Cuniculus) and studying: the respiratory system, digestive system, circulatory system, urniogenital system and some different glands.
· 9th Lecture:
- Studying and observing different systems in the human body, such as: the digestive system, respiratory system, circulatory system, urinary system and productive system by using models, posters and videos.
· 10th Lecture:
- Studying Sperms and ova microscopically
- Observing the development of the germinal shape in a frog.
· 11th Lecture:
- Studying some adaptation done by animals using video tapes or any other helping aid.
1. بيولوجية الحيوان العملية (الجزء الأول والثاني) (مرجع أساسي)
تأليف : د.أحمد الحسيني و د.أميل دميان .
2. الدراسة العملية في علم الحيوان ، تأليف : أعضاء هيئة تدريس علم الحيوان بالجامعات المصرية. دار المعارف – مصر – 1983 م .
3. علم الحيوان ، تأليف : د. محمود البنهاوي و آخرون . (مرجع أساسي)
دار المعارف – القاهرة – 1416 هـ .