Ministry of higher Education
King Saud University
College of Arts , Dept. of History
Name ; Abdullah ALI Ibraham al-Zaidan
Major; Islamic history
Field of specialization: History of Islamic cities and medieval population.
Fields of academic interest : editing of historical manuscripts , foreign travelers to Arabia, translation of traveler’s works about Arabia.
Address: Po.box: 2456 Postal code : 11451 arriyadh
Office phone ; 4674936 Home: 4850695
cellphone ; 0505446335
Email : aazaidan @hotmail.com
Another e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
-Head of history Department, king saud University 1401-1403
- Head of history Department, king saud University 1403-1405
-President of the Saudi Historical Society from 1418 till now.
-Member of the organizing committee of the International symposium of Arabia studies from 1400 on wards and vice Chairman three Times.
-Member of the Research Centre in the college of Arts.
-Member of the organizing committee of the Arab Universities Union 1402 and member of the organizing committee of the conference for the Arabization of the higher education.
-Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the Faculty of Arts , King Saud University 1401.
-Assigned to head hunt new academic staff for the college of Arts 1405.
- The Department of History representative in aljinadiriyah(The national festival for culture and heritage ) 1408/1988.
-Founding member of the Saudi Historical Society since 1405/1984.
Chairman of the organizing Committee of symposium of al-Andalus held by King AbdulAziz Public Library and the National Guards 1413/1992. and Chief editor of the proceedings of the symposium.
-Member of the Editorial Board of “ Historical Studies” published by the Department of History , King Saud University, 1415/1994
-Head of History Department, King Saud University, 1924/ 2003
- Part time consultant working at the Ministry of higher Education.
- Chairman of the organizing committee of the international symposium of the studies of the History of Arabia 1428
- Member of the organizing committee of the symposium on the achievement of HRH Price Salman ibn Abdul Aziz to mark his fiftieth year as Governor of ar-Riyadh. 1428.
Membership of Scientific Societies :
- Founding Member of the Saudi Historical Society and its Present President and CEO.
- Founding Member of the Society for History and Archaeology of the Arabian gulf states.
- Member of the Union of Arab Historians in Cairo.
- Member of the Royal Asiatic society of Great Britain and Ireland.
Academic Qualifications :
- Bachelor of Arts with distinction from King Saud University 1391. ar-Riyadh Saudi Arabia M.Phil Leeds University,UK.(through upgrading)
Ph.D. Leeds University,UK. 1978
Scientific and Academic Works :
1. Sciencetific and Academic Committees(inside and outside the university of King Saud) such as:
2. Head of the committee that oversees the interests of the gifted students and the demonstrators from 1408 A.H tell now and in Varying degrees of responsibilities.
3. member of the committee for study schemes in the History Department from 1986 onwards.
4. Member of the admission committee in the history Department.
5. Member of contracting and staffing committee in the college of Arts in 1407 ash.
. Member of the committee studying the relations between college of Arts and college of Education.
7. Head of the admission committee
8 - Head of the preparatory committee of the international symposium of al_Andalus centuries of achievement and upheavals held in King Abdul-Aziz public library in the year 1413 ash, head of the scientific committee of the same symposium.
9 – Head of the editing committee of the proceedings of al-Andalusia symposium published by the king Abdul-Aziz library in 5 vols.
10 – Member of the committee studying the founding of community colleges and intermediate colleges, in the kingdom and the reprehensive of the history dept.
11 – Frequent member of the committee for the appointments of new staffs in the scientific council of k. s. u.
Symposia and conferences:
1- Participation in the Arabian seminar at Oxford, 1977, and Cambridge 1979A.D..
2- Member of the preparatory committee of the Arab university union conference in 1400 A.H.
3 – One of the representatives of King Saud University to the conference of the union of Arab universities held in Islamic university al-medina al-munawwarh.
4 – Taking port in the activities of the second conference on the history of the Maghreb in the city of Tunis. Tunisia in 1401.
5 – Head of the group of staff that accompanied the Spanish universities team that visited the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 1402.
7 – Participating in symposium held in the Arab education bureau of the golf state about the possibilities of applying the here calendar in the gulf state. G.C.C. countries.
8 – Head of the committee formed by the history dept. Which was entitled "the role of al- jenadriyyah in the florishing of hand crafts, 1408?
9 – Participation on the study seminar held in the college of arts with the title :"method of editing ancient manuscripts" the case of : Tariku bani Ubaid wasiyarihim " 1416 .
10 – Participating on the first meeting of the society for history and archeology in G.C.C. states ,in al-sharijah , rajab, 1419.
Participation in the conference of the GCC society for History and Archaeology held in Dubai with a paper by the title" The expedition of Bugha the great to al-Yamamah and al-Hejaz 232-233A.H"
-participating in the 4th Symposium of the History of Arabia during the Umayyad period entitled " Al-Amro Ibn Al-Ass in Ta'if a case of return Migration"
- participating in the 5th symposium of the History of Arabia during the Abbasid period entitled " the Expedition of Al-Abbas Ibn Amro al-Ghanawi against the Bahrain Region".
-participation in all the Conferences of the Saudi Historical Society with preparation in my capacity as the president of the Society and as a researcher with the following papers:
1. The narratives regarding the Death of Idris Ibn Abdillah al-Alawi.
2. Al-Kahinah between Ibn Khaldun and the Encyclopedia Judica"
3. The Alawids Movements in the Hejaz during the 1st Abbasids era"
-The GCC Joint Conference with SHS in Riyadh to commemoration the 20th year of KF accession to the rule of Saudi Arabia 1422A.H."
-The GCC Society for History and Archaeology Scientific Meeting in Kuwait in the Occasion of "Kuwait city the Capital of Arab Culture 1423A.H.
- The Festivities of Umm al-Qura University on the occassin of King Fahd 20th Anniversary of the Bai'ah in 1422.
Teaching Graduate and Post-Graduate Courses:
1. Abbasid State (342Hist) (3: s.units)
2. Muslim states in the Maghreb (346Hist) (3:s.units)
3. Arabian Peninsula from the 3rd century ( ) ( )
4. Historical text in English (301Hist) now (310Hist) in the Present study Scheme (3:s.units)
5. Fatimid State ( ) (3:s.units)
6. Arabic Scripts and Papyri's (3: s.units)
7. Archaeological cities and Sites (in the Archaeology Department)
8- Political an cultural history of Islam (1) (Archaeology Department)
9- Political an cultural history of Islam (2) (Archaeology Department)
10- ottoman State history
1. Arabian Peninsula MedivalHistory(554Hist) -1
2- Seminar Room (For M.A.Students)
3- Study Seminar (621Hist)
4- 631Hist: Special Topic on the History of the Muslim Maghreb
5- 501Hist, 601Hist: English Texts for Graduate Students
Supervision and Academic Guidance:
1-Academic guidance to Ibrahim al-Rabiah
2-Acadenic Guidance to Abdulrahim Al- alShaykh Mubarak.
3- Supervision of Khalid al-Harbi M.A.Theses.
4-Giving Guidance to Khalid Abdullah al-Turaig's Thesis on the History of the Maghreb.
5- Supervising Khalid al-Turaig's Theses.
6- Supervising Abdul-Aziz al-Yahya who wrote theses on the Judicial History of Ifriqiya.
7-Suprvising the Theses of Mohammad al-Amri who Presented a Theses about the "The Cult of the Mahdi from the advent of Islam to the End of the Umayyad era"
8-supervising Muhammad Majid alQahtani who is preparing himself to defend his Thesis.
9- Supervising Manal al-Sayyari as a provisional Supervisor aided by Dr. Norah al-Noam.
10. In the meantime I am the supervisor of Husain Aamir Kato of Uganda who is studying Muslim Medieval History of the Maghreb.
Viva:( Oral examination of M.A. Students)
1-The M.A. theses of Muhammad Mufarrij al-Shorman
2-The M.A.Theses of Faris al-Dhikri
3-The M.A.Theses of Majid Nasir al-Hajri
4-Jarallah Baruk al-Otaibi
Published Books and Papers:
-Tarikh Ifriqiyyah Wal-Maghreb; Ibrahim Ibn Ishaq al-Qaqiq al-Qayrawani known as an-Nadim, with Dr. Izzu Ad-Din Omar Mosa , Editors,Dar al-Gharb al-Islami , Beirut, 1410 A.H.
2- Chief Editor of The Proceedings of The Conference of : Al-Andalus;Centuries of upheavals and Achievements, held by The National Guard's King Abdul Aziz Public Library , 5vols, Riyadh,1417A.H.
3- "The Traditions of the Assassination of Idris Ibn Abdullah al-Alawi, Published in al-Osur (Ages) journal,
4-The Berbers Great Revolt in the Maghreb and its effect on Al-Andalus, 123A.H. Translated from English and Published in : The Proceedings of The Conference of : Al-Andalus;Centuries of upheavals and Achievements, held by The National Guard's King Abdul Aziz Public Library , 5vols, Riyadh,1417A.H.
5-Translating two chapters of Alois on horses and camels Muslim's " Manners and customs of the Ruwala Bedouins, in, Add rah Journal, the rest of. The book is ready for publishing.
6-Paper presented and published in the proceedings of the GCC society for history and Archaeology entitled " the expedition of bugha the great on Al –Yamamh and Al – Hejaz.
7-A published paper in the journal of the Saudi Historical Society. Entitled "the Abbasid Caliphate policy toward the Maghreb, 132-144, A.H.
8-A published paper in the king Saud Journal (arts) entitled " the Abbasid Caliphate policy toward the Maghreb 144-296 A.H.
Papers being prepared for publishing:
1- " Al-Amr Ibn Al-Ass inTaif "a case of return migration " presented to the symposium for the study of the Arabian peninsula.
2- A paper entitled " the expedition of Al-Abbas Ibn Amr al-Ghanawi to Bahrain " presented to the international symposium of the study of the History of the Arabian Peninsula, in 1424 A.H.
3- A paper entitled " Banu al-Ukhaider in al –Yamamah and al- Hejaz , presented to the scientific conference of the Saudi Historical Society held in k.s.u , 1431 A.H.
4- A paper presented to the Saudi , Historical Society conference entitled " the founding and development of the science of History in the Maghreb"1422 A.H.
5-" Al-Kahinah between Ibn Khaldun and Encyclopedia Judaica"; A paper presented to the 6th Conference of the Saudi Historical Society held in Riyadh.
6-" The Revolts of the Alawites in the Hejaz Region during the 3rd Century A.H. "Presented to the 10th Annual Conference held in Makkah al-Mukarramah in 1422A.H.
7-"Water Installation in al-Jawa in Quassim ,the case of al-Ghaf,and the Discovery of the water Spring(Ain) of Abdullah Ibn Amir Ibn Quraiz , a Paper presented in the 11th Annual Conference of the Saudi Historical Society held in Buraydah , Al Quassim Province, 1431,A.H.
8- "The Historical Materials in Alois Musil's; The Manners and Customs of the Ruwala Bedouins " a paper presented to the 10 GCC society for History and Archaeology held in Abu Dhabi , UAE, in 2009A.D.
9- "The Cultural and Scientific Scene in Ifriqiyyah during the Aghlabids Rule, 184-296A.H".A Paper presented the Arab Historian Society in Cairo, 2009A.D.
10- Chief Editor of: "Al-Madinah al-Munawwarah through the Ages" the Proceeding of the Annual conference of the Saudi Historical Society held in Al-Madinah, 2vol. 1428, A.H.,Publications of the Saudi Historical Society,ar-Riyadh,1432