Course Title : INTRODUCTION TO DENTAL HYGIENE
Course Number : DEH 241
Credit Hours : 1 + 1 = 2
Dr. Nuha Al-Haque (course director)
D.H. Muneera Al-Zeer
D.H. Areej Al-Siwat
Introduction and definitions in dentistry. How to make the students familiar with Dental hygiene, the clinics and clinical rules. Knowledge of duties of the dental hygienist as a member of the dental team. Ethics and jurisprudence in the field of dental hygiene. Personal hygiene of the students. Precautions for prevention of disease transmission in the Dental Clinic. The order in the clinic and the dental hygiene instrumentation will be introduced to the students. How to take care of the instruments and sterilization.
o Understanding what a dental hygienist is and does what is expected from him/her in obligations and duties.
o Students should be familiar with all the instruments used by the dental hygienist.
1. Wilkins, E.M.: Clinical practice of the dental hygienists, 8th edition, 1999, Philadelphia. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
2. Gehrig J.N. and Houseman G.A.: Fundamentals of periodontic instrumentation, 3rd edition, 1996, Lippincott.
3. Newman M.G., Takei H.H., and Carranza, F.A.: Carranza's clinical periodontology, 9th edition, 2002, Philadelphia, W.B.Saunders.
4. Darby M.L. and Walsh M.M.: Dental Hygiene Theory and Practice, 2nd edition, 2003, St.Louise, Missouri.
5. Gehrig J.N. : Fundamentals of periodontic instrumentation & advanced root instrumentation, 5th edition, 2004, Lippincott W. & Wilkins.