Course title: Clinical Neurology
Course number: RHS 332
Credit hours: 4
Course instructor: Dr. Ahmad Alghadir MS, PhD, PT
This course will provide the student with the fundamental concepts about various adult neurological diseases. It will emphasis the etiology, pathology, prognosis, and clinical features of the most common neurological diseases. It will also focus on the sensory, motor, functional, and coordination evaluation procedures. Finally, it will help the student to plan an appropriate treatment program for different neurological diseases using various therapeutic techniques.
By the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize different neurological diseases.
- Develop a clear understanding of the etiology, pathology, prognosis, and clinical features of the most common neurological diseases affecting adult people.
- Utilize different evaluation methods to identify problems of various neurological diseases.
- Demonstrate adequate practical skills to conduct the sensory, motor, functional, and coordination assessments.
- Design a treatment plan for the different neurological diseases.
- Select the most appropriate therapeutic techniques.
- Demonstrate competence in handling and communicating with patients.
Week 1 Sensory assessment.
Week 2 Motor control assessment I.
Week 3 Motor control assessment II.
Week 4 Functional assessment.
Week 5 Coordination assessment.
Week 6 Cerebellar, basal ganglia, and dorsal columns dysfunctions.
Week 7 First midterm exam.
Week 8 Stroke.
Week 9 Traumatic head injury.
Week 10 Traumatic spinal cord injury.
Week 11 Multiple sclerosis.
Week 12 Parkinson’s disease.
Week 13 peripheral neuropathies.
Week 14 myopathies.
Week 15 Second midterm exam.
Week 16 Final exam.
- Electronic lectures.
- Clinical practice.
- Attendance: 10%
- Clinical practice: 20%
- First midterm exam: 20%
- Second midterm exam: 20%
- Final exam: 30%
- Electronic handouts.
- Circulated updated articles.
- Physical Rehabilitation: Assessment and Treatment.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- Cash’s Textbook of Neurology for Physiotherapists.
- Neurological Rehabilitation.