Omar Al-Obeed, MD, FRCSC
Date of Birth:. August 23, 1971
Marital status: married
Languages: English, Arabic
Contact Information: King Saud University
Riyadh 11472, Saudi Arabia
Tel: (01) 467-1575
Fax: (01) 467-9493
Specialist Certificate of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in General Surgery (FRCSC)
Specialist Certificate of the University of Ottawa in Colorectal Surgery.
Specialist Certificate of the University of Ottawa in
Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS).
M.B; B.S. (Medical Doctor Degree)
King Saud University(KSU), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
July 1998 to June 2003
Residency General Surgery Program, University of Ottawa
July 2003 to June 2004
Fellowship Colorectal Surgery, University of Ottawa
July 2004 to Sep 2005
Fellowship Minimally Invasive Surgery, University of
July 1995 to July 1996
Internship Major teaching hospitals in Riyadh
Oct 1996 to Sep 1997
Surgical Resident King Faisal Specialist Hospital
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada
- Member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Member of the Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Member of the Canadian Medical Association
- Member of SAGES
Publications and Presentations
- Gagné JP, Al-Obeed O, Tadros S, Moonje V, Yelle JD, Poulin EC.
Advanced laparoscopic surgery in a free-standing
lessons from the first 50 cases. Surg Innov. 2007 Mar;14
- Al-Obaid O. Gallstone Ileus: A forgotten rare cause of
intestinal obstruction. Saudi J Gastroenterol 2007;13:39-42
- Al-Obeed O, Stern H, Penning J, Is Epidural Anaesthesia Safe
To BeUsed In Rectal Anastomosis. Presented in Canadian
Association of General Surgery meeting 2002.
- Management of pelvic bleeding. Colorectal forum, KFSH&RC
- Laparoscopic colectomy for IBD. Colorectal forum, KFSH&RC Mar 2007
- Management of anastomotic leak. Colorectal forum, KFSH&RC Mar 2007
Ongoing Research Projects
- Large Celiac Artery Aneurysm: A case report and Literature review.
Al-Obeed O, AlJabri B.
- Laying Open a Pilonidal Sinus. Al-Obeed O, Friedlich M.
- Fistula plug for high perianal fistulae. Zubaidi a, Al-Obeed O
- Saudi Cultural Bureau awards for excellent performance in
training from 1999- 2005.
- University of Ottawa award for excellent performance in training and CAGS exam 2001-2002.
- Advanced Cardiac Live Support 1997 Riyadh KSA.
- Advanced Trauma Live Support 2000 Ottawa, Canada.
- Laparoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair 2004 Toronto,
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery 2005 Strasbourg,
Teaching Courses ( as instructor)
- Basic Operative Surgical Skills Sep. 2005 SFH Riyadh, KSA.
- Basic Operative Surgical Skills Mar. 2006 SFH Riyadh, KSA.
- Laparoscopic colectomy Sep 2006 KFNGH, KSA.
- Laparoscopic colon resection Mar 2007 KFSH&RC
- Started the laparoscopic colon resection at King Khalid University Hospital. More than 80 laparoscopic colon resection were done at the hospital during one and half year as opposed to none before. This constitute more than 90% of all colonic surgery at KKUH.
- Started the hand assist technique for colon resection at KKUH.
- Assistant professor and consultant general surgery, King Khalid University hospital.
- Member of the Surgical Scientific Board, Saudi
Commission for Health Specialties
- Associate Head of the continuous medical education, Post graduate centre, Medical college, King Saud University.
- Head of Colorectal Unit at King Khalid University hospital.
- Deputy head Minimally Invasive surgery centre at King Khalid University hospital.
- Program director, Residency Training Program, King Khalid University hospital.
- Member of the teaching committee of department of surgery at KKUH.
- Member of the higher committee, Ministry of health
- Member of the interns committee, King Khalid University hospital.