Name: Abeer khalid Al-Ghumlas
Marital Status: married
Address: King Khalid University Hospital
Department of physiology
P.O. Box 2925
· Ph-D in 2009 from King Khalid University Hospital, College of Medicine, Department of Physiology.
Title: "Morphological and functional Characteristics of blood platelets: A
comparative study between human and camel platelets"
· M.Sc. in 2002 from King Saud University, College of Medicine, Department of physiology.
Title: "Haemostatic changes in chronic liver disease"
· MBBS in 1995 from King Faisal University, Dammam.
3 months Medicine: King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh
3 months surgery: Riyadh Central Hospital, Riyadh
2 months Obstetric & Gynecology: Riyadh Central hospital, Riyadh
2 months pediatric, King Fahad Hospital, Khobar
1 month Primary Care Medicine, King Fahad hospital, Khobar
1 month Elective (Dermatology): King Fahad hospital, Khobar
Joined Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, King Saud University as resident in 1997
3) Enrolled in MSc program in 1417 H (1997) with grade 4.78
MSc thesis title: “Haemostatic changes in chronic liver disease”
Discussed in 21 /10/ 1423 (25 December 2002) and passed
With distinction (Excellent grade)
4) Enrolled in Ph-D program in 1426H (2006)
Ph-D thesis title: “Morphological and functional characteristics of platelets: A comparative study between human and camel platelets”
Started 26-5-1426 and discussed at 21/12/2010 GPA: 4.96
§ Giving lectures, tutorials, practical classes and oral examination to medical, dental and pharmacology students
§ Teaching post graduate students (Nurses)
§ Course organizer of PLS(580), PCOL 282
Seminar presentations to the Physiology Department:
§ Exercise in heat
§ Insulin; mechanism of action
§ Bronchial hyper-responsiveness
§ Heart failure
§ Sodium handling by the nephron
§ Haemostatic changes in chronic liver disease
§ Endothelial cell and haemostatic activation in relation to cytokines in patients with sepsis
§ Lipoprotein a
§ Renin angiotensin system
§ Tissue factor pathway inhibitor
§ Exercise and heat
Research interest: Haematology/ Coagulation
Contribution to conferences:
§ “Haemostatic parameters in chronic liver disease; can haemostatic tests be included as LFTs?”: Poster presentation at the 7th Saudi Gastroenterology Association conference-King Abdulaziz Medical city, National Guard Health Affairs, Riyadh, October 2002.
§ The peculiar platelet behaviour in the Arabian camel (Camel Dromedaries). Poster presentation at XXII Congress of International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis-USA, July, 2009.
§ Natural anticoagulants can be useful predictors of sever liver disease. Poster presentation at XXII Congress of International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis-USA, July, 2009.
Attendance to courses:
- The Sixth Annual Saudi Gastroenterology Association Meeting, at King Fahad Hospital, Jeddah, 1999.
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics Course for post-graduate residents, at King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh 2000
- Statistics for Medical Researchers, at King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh 2003.
- Therapeutic Endoscopy Course, at King Abdulaziz Medical city, National Guard Health Affairs, Riyadh, 2002.
- 7TH Saudi Gastroentrology Association Conference and gastrointestinal endoscopy course, at King Abdulaziz Medical city, National Guard Health Affairs, Riyadh, 2002.
- 4TH International Symposium on Haematology and Transfusion Medicine, at Al Twaiq palace, Diplomatic Quarters, Riyadh, 2002
- The first Scientific Conference on the March of Medical Education in Saudi Arabia, at College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, 2004
- 1st International symposium on hepatocellular carcinoma, at National Guardofficers club, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2004
- Pricncipals and practice in conducting clinical research symposium, at King Faisal specialist hospital, 2004
- 6th Epidemiology and biostatistics course, at College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, 2004
- Update on breast diseases at King Fahad Hospital University, Al-Khobar, 2004
- 2nd King Saud University Workshop on Medical Education at College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, 2005
- 3rd King Saud University Work shop on medical Education, at College of Medicine, King Saud University university, Riyadh, 2006
- Advances in blood transfusion, King Fahad Hospital of the University, AlKhobar, 2006.
- International Medical update 2006, at College of Medicine, King Saud University university, Riyadh, 2006
- the 6th Annual International Hematology Conference, King Fahad Cultural Centre, Riyadh, 2007
- 6th Arab and 3rd GCC Pan Arab blood transfusion conference at King Faisal conference hall-Intercontinental hotel, 2007
- 7th International congress of Saudi Society of Haematology, at King Fahad Medical city, Riyadh, 2008
- First Conference On Stem Cell, KSU, Riyadh, 7-9/11/2009.
- 1st Faculty enhancement Medical education workshop, at College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, 2009
- King Saud University Students’ prepatory symposium for SSC, KSU, Riyadh, 9-10/12/2009
- International Medicine update 2010, at College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, 2010
- 2nd Faculty enhancement Medical education workshop on teaching learning and assessment, at College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, 2010
- 2nd Workshop on multiple choice questions at College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, 2010
· Best resident for the year of 1417 H at college of Medicine, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh.
· Award of her excellence prince Aljohara Al-Ibrahim for the superior post graduate student in academic achievement in 1423-1424 H of King Saud University.
· Winner of Al Marai Annual Award of Scientific Innovation for Research Studies in the Camel, 2008.
· Prize of best post graduate research in the (King Saud University students’ research prepatory symposium for Students Research Project), 2009.
1) Al-Ghumlas AK and Abdelgader AG. The liver and haemostatic system. The Saudi journal of Gastroenterology 2003,9: 59-68.
2) Al-Ghumlas AK, Gader AMA, Al Faleh FZ. Haemostatic abnormalities in liver disease: could some haemostatic tests be useful as liver function tests? Blood Coag Fibrinol 2005; 16:329-335.
3) Al-Ghumlas AK, Gader AMA, Al Faleh FZ. Natural anticoagulants and fibrinolytic activity following Interferon therapy in chronic hepatitis. Blood Coag Fibrinolysis 2008; 19(4):263-267.Al-Ghumlas AK, Gader AMA. Sport in High Altitude. Saudi J Sports Medicine 2007; 9(2):123-127.
4) Gader AMA, Ghumlas AK, Hussain MF, Al-Haidary AI. Platelet aggregation and platelet function analyser 100 (PFA-100) closure time in camels – a comparative study with humans. Comp Clin Pathol 2006; 15:31-37.
5) Gader AMA, Al-Ghumlas AK, Hussein MF, Al-Haidary A, White JG. Ultrastructure of Camel Blood Platelets: A comparative study with Human, Bovine and Equine Cells. Platelets 2008; 19(1):51-58.
6) Al-Ghumlas AK, Gader AMA, Hussein MF, Al-Haidary A, White JG. Effects of Heat on Camel Platelet Structure and Function- A comparative study with humans. Platelets 2008; 19(3):163-171.
7) Al-Ghumlas AK, Gader AMA. Sport in High Altitude. Saudi J Sports Medicine 2007; 9(2):123-127.
8) Gader AMA, Al Ghumlas AK, Al-Momen AK. Transfusion Medicine in a developing country- Alloantibodies to red blood cells in multi-transfused patients in Saudi Arabia. Transfusion and Apheresis Science 2008; 39(3): (199-204).